urge all mountain helmet

crispy1980
crispy1980 Posts: 310
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
I visited lbs to try on several helmets. Was originally thinking of fox flux but they just don't feel right at all, neither did the 661 recon. Tried on the urge without looking at the price. Fit is perfect and with the new vents should be fair y cool. Can I justify 100 on a helmet. If this is the best fitting I might have to.the last option may be the Giro feature but I couldn't try as they didn't have any, anyone have experience of these?

Comments

• I think the general rule is spend what you can afford with helmets - you only have one head and its worth protecting :)
    I have the Flux and its a great helmet but if it doesn't feel good on your head get one that does.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    crispy1980 wrote:
    the last option may be the Giro feature but I couldn't try as they didn't have any, anyone have experience of these?
    The Feature is a different shape to the Urge, more of an oval shape. If you can get your fingers between the sides of the Urge and your head the Feature may be a better fit. Feature also has a basic adjustable retention system which works OK but shouldn't compensate for an ill-fitting helmet.
  • Rock monkey sc - that's the enduro one, very similar but doesn't have many vents so thinking it may get a bit warm?
    blitz fit seemed spot on, was really snug feeling and didn't move only thing I though hut was on was the lack of a retention strap. But maybe you don't need it.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    If the Urge is in all-over contact with your head it's a good fit and you don't need a retention system
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I think the general rule is spend what you can afford with helmets - you only have one head and its worth protecting :)
    Rubbish, a £20 will be just as protective as an £80, if it fits properly.
  • I have a cheapo one at the moment that fits fine but I fancy one with lower coverage. Ad said,the urge has thick padding in that seems to mold to the head, think it's going to have to be that one, just won't let the missus see the invoice!!
  • I think the general rule is spend what you can afford with helmets - you only have one head and its worth protecting :)

Rubbish? Not quite sure about that. In my experience I've not found any £20 range helmet that covers the rear/base of my skull with confidence no matter how well they fit. Have your opinion, don't belittle others.
  • bennett_346
    I think the general rule is spend what you can afford with helmets - you only have one head and its worth protecting :)

Rubbish? Not quite sure about that. In my experience I've not found any £20 range helmet that covers the rear/base of my skull with confidence no matter how well they fit. Have your opinion, don't belittle others.
    http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=bike+helmet&hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41867550,d.d2k&biw=1366&bih=653&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=6659467989946129071&sa=X&ei=oUARUdHgMarV0QWSloDQDg&ved=0CIIBEPMCMAA

Sit down.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    All in small though so as long as you're a pinhead....
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    Not relevant to the point being made. The suggestion that you need to spend as much as is possible on a helmet to avoid having to go to hospital is mental, and i provided a valid alternative to expensive helmets for those wanting extra rear protection.
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    Just got myself an Urge from CRC for £63. It's the Enduro matic rather than the All Mountain, good price though if you're looking for one
  • cooldad
    Not relevant to the point being made. The suggestion that you need to spend as much as is possible on a helmet to avoid having to go to hospital is mental, and i provided a valid alternative to expensive helmets for those wanting extra rear protection.
    I agree. I just wanted to imply that you're a pinhead.
    Fortunately £20 Bells fit me perfectly.
    I also think each and every Urge helmet looks like something they'd give the inhabitant of a padded cell for extra protection.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • It has v end said that I should be in a padded cell, so all good!
  • I think Urge helmets look ace. Have you seen the shorts Cooldad rides in? not sure they're for padded cells exactly but definitely something deviant.
  • cooldad
    Now I know why you follow me so closely.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools