Are the 2013 avid/sram xx world cup brakes good?

fozworth
fozworth Posts: 142
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Ive been offered a new 2013 sram/avid xx world cup brake set at under £200 .While thats more than half price i still dont want to get them if they dont work that well or are unreliable.Can any one shed some light as i can only find talk on the previous years which is very mixed but this year they have over hauled revised them.
At the end of the day, it's night.

Comments

• Nope. Spend it on some XTs or formulas instead.
  • fozworth
    are they still as un reliable as the previous models ?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Reliability is better, but they still fell like Juicy 3's!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Reliability is better, but they still fell like Juicy 3's!

That's a bit unfair. I had a set of X0 brakes and they feel nothing at all like Juicy Three's. When properly bled they are a nice xc brake but they are hard to bleed properly and need bleeding regularly and even at half price they aren't worth the money.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    That sums it up for me - if they've sorted the reliability then they'd be alright (at best), but I had to rebuild mine regularly and the finish was poor. But they are light, and the feel was good, when they weren't spontaneously pulling back to the bars.

Personally once bitten, twice shy, I wouldn't have another set, whatever they said.
  • fozworth
    Think I'm going to stick with what I know then .and that's hope brakes . I'll get some x2 evo's then sham as 180 for a set of 2013 xx 's did sound exciting but not if I'm forever going to be fiddling with them
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Shimano are the way forward. Even the new Deore's are better than the Avid X0's and very cheap.