Oldest commuter bike?

ghilder
ghilder Posts: 6
edited February 2013 in Commuting general
I am commuting daily on an late 70's/early 80's Nigel Dean world tour, I was wondering if anyone is using anything older on a regular basis, my bike is original barring cassette/chain and still great to ride, also interested to know if there are any other Nigel Deans out there in regular use.

Comments

• I used to do a 32 mile round trip commute on a 1980s MBK road bike. Then I upgraded and no longer feel so much pain.
  • Still using a 86 steel road bike for winter. She does the job and I think that upgrading would be a betrayal.

Well I mean still using I have changed the bottom bracket, wheels, forks, seat pillar, brakes, rear mech, front mech, gear shifters from "down tube" to ergolvers, handlebar, stem and lights.

OK the frame and saddle is original but the frame gets resprayed every 3-5 years!
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.
  • Just go's to show the quality of Nigel Dean 531 frames, the paintwork on mine is original and still in good nick!
    I own 2 other bikes, a 2012 Giant Defy 1 and 2012 GT Zaskar comp, but would never part with the ND.
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    Used to commute on an ancient Dawes Ambassador till some B'stard nicked it, used a 1986 Raleigh Milk Race for a while. I still see a few 1980's Raleighs knocking around Belfast, they're built like tanks.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • yocto
    yocto Posts: 86
    Is it cheating if you’ve ‘modernised’ an old bike? The wife and I ride Moultons (from around 1969-1971). Though to be fair the only original parts are the frame, forks and suspension innards. Otherwise everything else is new!

Have a look at my signature for pictures.

We both commute about 18miles per day on these things (for over a year now) and have done a couple of two day tours on them (S.London – Deal & S.London – Bath) :D
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Mine is a mere youth in comparison - a 1995 Saracen Kilicomp. All original parts except pads, tyres, chain and rings/sprockets.

The chain, rings and sprockets were only changed last year as it happens - after 17 years. A disgrace - they don't make bikes like they used to! :mrgreen:

I did manage to recycle chainrings off an even older bike though - some no-name mountain bike from about 1994 which had been sat in my garage/shed unused for about 10 years and done hardly any miles in its life.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.