GP 4 seasons tyres

Azhar
Azhar Posts: 247
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
I currently have marathon plus tyres on my bike At the moment which are excellent puncture resistant tyres but heavy. I'm thinking of switching to the continental GP 4season tyres and wanted to know if the transition would be worth it. Are they puncture resistant but heavy like the marathon plus tyres or lighter? ny riders out there have the 4 seasons? And if so, would you recommend it?

The marathon plus tyres, as mentioned, are excellent puncture resistant tyres but finding its affecting my average speed, especially up slight inclines when I should be a lot faster but find myself spinning up those slight inclines and I think it's got to do with my tyres. Any advice I would appreciate it a lot.

Thanks peeps

Comments

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Use the search button for all the info you ask.

Asking about tyres is like saying what colour bike do you prefer? There have been a few winter tyre posts, but searching for gp4s or "conti seasons" should get the right threads

I'd buy them - I ride them.
  • Dadmo
    Dadmo Posts: 61
    Same here - grippy, tough & fairly quick. Best winter tyre I've used.
  • GP4's are on my winter bike & they do the job for me. Are pretty resilient to punctures, well have been for me, can't say on the weight compared to yours as never had a set.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Azhar
    Dadmo wrote:
    Same here - grippy, tough & fairly quick. Best winter tyre I've used.

do you have the 23c's or the 25c? i've never had any other tyre apart from marathon plus tyres but i have some money put aside, a small amount, to make a chnage to the tyres and see how well i fair on them. but thanks for your post.
  • Azhar
    GP4's are on my winter bike & they do the job for me. Are pretty resilient to punctures, well have been for me, can't say on the weight compared to yours as never had a set.

thanks dan. as mentioned, i've only had marathon plus tyres but i'm hoping if i make the chnage it should be enough to make a differnce to my ride. :)
  • Put it this way: I have both and have fitted both to my main commuting bike.

With the 4 Seasons (28c) my 12 mile commute takes somewhere around 42 minutes
    With the Marathon pluses it takes over 51 minutes.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Azhar
    Put it this way: I have both and have fitted both to my main commuting bike.

Cheers mr Kieran. That's what I was looking for. Think I'll go order the tyres. :)
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460

9 minute differential over 12 miles - gotta be more than tyres involved for that difference. Did you puncture on the Marathons. My 15 mile commute may have 3-4 minute differential due to weather/wind but cannot accept that tyres alone account for 9 mins
  • MattyyP
    MattyyP Posts: 142
    nochekmate wrote:

9 minute differential over 12 miles - gotta be more than tyres involved for that difference. Did you puncture on the Marathons. My 15 mile commute may have 3-4 minute differential due to weather/wind but cannot accept that tyres alone account for 9 mins

+1

But if they did make such a difference, I think i'll go order a set too! :lol:
    Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • cerv52
    cerv52 Posts: 81
    I use Conti GP4 seasons 23c tyres on my winter bike and must say am really impressed with them. Seem to roll pretty well and grip is very good too.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Run them on the commuter fixed and the audax bike. 28mm all the way.

Grippy, last a long time, keep the fairy away and roll quite well.

They won't beat your marathons for endurance, but they'll be a lot more lively. Marathons are great, but do feel very dead.
  • nochekmate wrote:

I could dig out the endomondo tracks for the commutes, but the avg commute time for the route on the 4 seasons is around the 42-45 minute mark. With the Marathons, all the commutes were at least 51 mins, some over 53. The weather determined whether I used the marathons or 4 seasons but the Marathons ARE markedly slower.

(for ref: when I use my carbon road bike (Madone 4.5) I am disappointed if I don't do the run in under 40 mins, PB is 36)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Dig out whatever tracks you like - tyres alone do not account for the 9 min differential and if the OP buys them on the 4 Seasons on the strength of that then he's sadly deluded. Don't get me wrong, I like the 4 Seasons as a winter tyre but 9 mins over 12 miles is helluva way.

Might see you commuting sometime - make sure that you've got the 4 Seasons on at the time - don't want any excuses of slow tyres with the Marathons :lol:
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    GP 4 Seasons here. Been using them on the commute on and off for 4 years. Had 12 months on Michelin Lithion2's - these are much cheaper, but do wear out faster. The 4 Seasons do last well, and are good on puncture protection. Weight is 220g for 23mm's which is good. They also roll well compared to race tyres !