Bargain 10sp buys

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
The 2 nine speed bikes in the shed are both running out of transmission at the moment and I'm thinking of upgrading the Moment to a 1x10 and donating the still useable parts to the Socom which will remain 1x9 for a little while. So, where's the best deal to be had on 10sp SLX cassette, shifter and R mech? Anyone spotted a bargain recently?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Don't bother with 10 speed on your socom. I have 10 speed on my DH bike and it's pointles, I would much rather have 6 speed for downhill, you just don't need (or want) close gear ratios. With 10 speed I find I'm shifting two or three ratios at a time every time.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Bike-discount is my default place for shimano stuff, you could probably go full slx, shifter, mech, cassette and chain for £150 ish, probably less. Zee is worth looking at too, the mech I have is great and the shifters look good too and are cheaper than slx.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Bike-discount had SLX shifters (right only) for €18 last week. Everything else from there is within pennies of being cheapest so you might as well save on postage and get it all there. I'd do a quick double-check on rosebikes first though.

As above, the Zee mech is definitely worth a look.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I had a browse of CRC and they have a reduced 10sp mech but it's without clutch. I do want clutch. And RockMonkey, the 10sp os for the Moment, and the parts coming off will become spares for the Socom which I don't plan on connverting for a while. The shifter and mech are both damanged so it can have the ones of the Moment and the moment will upgrade.