Formula Oro brake - what have I done wrong?!

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Changed the brake pads on my Santa Cruz yesterday but they are not right afterwards and i'm not sure what I have done wrong :roll:

My rear brake pad was completely worn (the spring was starting to disintegtate - whoops!) so canged this one as normal, using the old pads to gently push the pistons back etc etc. Did the front one at the same time which wasn't quite as worn but pretty much there. Jumped on the bike to go for a ride and the front brake feel nice and 'normal' but the bite point of the rear brake is practically with the lever touching the handlecars :?

I don't understand what I have down wrong... I changed them on the 5 the other week (same brakes) and they were fine afterwards. Is the piston stuck or something after I completely obliterated the brake pad? The brake pads aren't rubbing or anything though.

Any ideas would be welcome - I would like to sort this myself but don't know to bleed brakes etc so if it' anything other than prodding it with a screwdriver or similar then it's a bike shop job :|

Thanks!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Keep on pumping the brake lever, the pads/pitons should eventually reset.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Really? I took it for a ride yesterday (albeit not a very long one) and it didn't sort itself out then. But then again it was quite flat and I was trying to beat my previous time, so be fair I probably wasn't braking that much...!

I'll give that a go - cheers!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    You might have more success pulling the lever without the wheel installed so the pads close, then use a plastic tyre lever or screwdriver to open them up a bit so the wheel will go back in.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    supersonic wrote:
    Keep on pumping the brake lever, the pads/pitons should eventually reset.
    and double check the wheel is seated in the drop outs correctly.

you just need to reset the pads pistons. it can help by winding the reach adjust out wo move the lever further away from the bars (as far as you can) as this seems to speed things up. then adjust to suit. (2mm allen key)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown