Commuter bike for 26 miler

merko77
merko77 Posts: 2
edited February 2013 in Commuting general
Hello,

I'm after some recommendations for a bike for my commute. I currently commute 26 miles each way into London from the West, along some pretty ropey main roads. I've been using a Genesis Day One Alfine 8 but it's proving to be too heavy, especially if there's a head wind (with Marathon Plus tyres, I think it's about 14kg).

So, something lighter to save my knees and up to £1,000. All help welcome...

Thanks!

Comments

• Very happy with my Trek 1.5 for £850. My next bike may well be a Madone for around a grand
  • For £40 swap the tyres for GP 4 Seasons - 28c would be fine or 32 if you 'd like some more comfort.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Find a secondhand carbon road bike. That will make your journey so much better. I picked up my Focus Cayo for £700 then spent £300 swapping the RS10 wheels for RS80s which were great for my rough Highland commute
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    I ride one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-Avanti-comp-racing-bike-/111006049591?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item19d879e537

I reckon this one will go for not much more than the starting price. Stick a set of Fulcrum Racing 5s on there and you'll have the ultimate commuter.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I ride 20 miles from the West, fixie with guards for me, see sig. Used an Allez for years but not as fun or easy to fix.
  • Check out the Specilized Sirrus Comp Disc 2013. Quick enough, but with the added protection of disc brakes.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    http://www.condorcycles.com/Sale-Bikes/ ... e.tpl.html

this can take mudguards and a rack if you are so inclined too. very nice.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Commuter84 wrote:
    Check out the Specilized Sirrus Comp Disc 2013. Quick enough, but with the added protection of disc brakes.

Flat-barred, so less aerodynamic and probably only a couple of pounds lighter the OP's bike. If the route isn't too hilly, a single speed/fixed gear drop-bar would be a better switch, as per clarkey cat's link.
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    If you fancy commuting in style, my LBS has built up a Planet X carbon road bike with SRAM rival ad Planet X 30mm wheels. That thing will shift. PM me if you are interested - it's near Surbiton, Surrey.
  • andyeb
    andyeb Posts: 407
    I've ridden a Jamis Ventura Comp (a sportive bike) 30 miles into London for a year or so. Position-wise it was spot on - aero enough to ride long distances efficiently without the more agressive riding position of a racing bike.

However I should have spent more money (£630) as the aluminium frame, carbon forks and cheap wheels did a poor job of soaking up road buzz, which got quite uncomfortable after doing the 60 mile round trip for a third time in a week.