Football's "Doping" Scandal???

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21319807

(Apologies for the mobile link)

Seems pretty widespread and talk of it being the "tip of the iceberg". Can we believe our eyes in any sport?
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Full Link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21319807

Where there is money to be made people will cheat.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    It's probably at least as bad as you suspect, but football's doping scandal is almost certainly doping.
  • rubertoe
    bompington wrote:
    It's probably at least as bad as you suspect, but football's doping scandal is almost certainly doping.

Rio Ferdinand anyone?

Doping is mosts sports "doping scandal"
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• Real Sociedad doping story today (will need translating)..

http://futbol.as.com/futbol/2013/02/04/ ... 19986.html
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Will likely be endemic at top end, but unlike cycling, unlikely to be endemic at lower and amateur tiers.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Will likely be endemic at top end, but unlike cycling, unlikely to be endemic at lower and amateur tiers.

Not sure its endemic at amateur level in cycling, unless I'm missing something? Need something for a chesty cough before I race at the weekend - now in a quandary as to whether to ask for something with pseudo-ephedrine, or for something without...
  • BigMat wrote:

Not sure its endemic at amateur level in cycling, unless I'm missing something? Need something for a chesty cough before I race at the weekend - now in a quandary as to whether to ask for something with pseudo-ephedrine, or for something without...

Wait, *all* you guys are doping? I demand Strava require people to pish into their phones to register a KOM from now on.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    BigMat wrote:

Think there's many a story about a gran fondo in italy. Rumour goes round that cos there's a small cash prize at the finish for the first over the line, dope testers have turned up. About half the peloton suddenly fail to finish....
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    BigMat wrote:

Think there's many a story about a gran fondo in italy. Rumour goes round that cos there's a small cash prize at the finish for the first over the line, dope testers have turned up. About half the peloton suddenly fail to finish....

I think the European sportive scene is pretty bad yeah, but amateur racing over here seems pretty clean based on my experiences. I'm at the lower levels though to be fair.
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    Well I've been known to smoke dope on Sportives but I'm pretty sure it doesn't enhance my performance any.
  • rubertoe
    It appears that our Australians cousins are on the sweets as well, in all sports.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21363100

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Cycling is, on the face of it, well ahead of many other sports, it appears footballers are either on the drugs or just fixing the matches anyway! and let's face it, tennis is also a mess, something tells me Murray is being vocal about it because most of his competition are juiced up and getting ripped very easily.

This is good read on the state of American sport after the super bowl..
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/890 ... d-question
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I have no doubt that doping is heavily used in sports like Football, Tennis, Athletics etc.

While certainly not clean, cycling now seems to be at the forefront of testing, while other sports governing bodies seem to adopt a head in sand approach.

There are certainly many suspicious people in all of the sports mentioned above, histories of missed tests, bans for taking their 'wives medicine' and a complete lack of out of season testing for many athletics governing bodies including Jamaica :|
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    If our footballers are on drugs, then they need to take different drugs.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."