Fox 36 uppers compatibility, and steerer install

konadawg
konadawg Posts: 447
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Looking at Talas uppers to replace my worn Van ones.

Could anyone kindly advise whether:

Talas uppers are compatible with Van internals (they seem to be a couple of years old at least so presume same era as mine);

Whether I need to get 160mm specific i.e. are the 150mm ones any shorter, just in case these are 150mms;

They come without a steerer tube fitted, what's the deal on removing mine (destructively won't matter!) but then installing into the "new" uppers?

Thanks in advance, and if anyone can offer alternatives they would certainly be considered.
Giant Reign X1

Comments

• mulley
    mulley Posts: 70
    Not sure how much help this is with 36's but just rebuilt my 32's and replaced the steerer etc, I called mojo for advice and as usual they were excellent. I had vanillas but the new uppers were float air ones, the only thing mojo said was the stanchions HAD to be the same length, or 140 for 140 etc so I don't think you'll be able to do the swap. The steerer itself I believe is a press fit and I think you would find it very hard to remove and replace with out damage. Mojo wanted about £140 for complete uppers so may be your best bet. 160's will probably bemore.
    Giant TCR
    Planet X Exocet 2
    Trek superfly fs
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    konadawg wrote:
    They come without a steerer tube fitted, what's the deal on removing mine (destructively won't matter!) but then installing into the "new" uppers?

I wouldn't touch that with your's. The steerers are bonded and meant never to be removed or replaced. From TFTuned's wedsite:

"Can I fit a new steerer tube to my Fox Forx as my new frame has a longer head tube?

A.Unfortunately it's not possible to fit a new steerer tube into a Fox Forx crown. If a longer steerer tube is required then a new crown/steerer/stanchion assembly will need to be fitted to the fork. For current prices please contact us"
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    Thanks for the replies so far, wonder whether anyone else has any similar experiences.

Re the steerer, I suppose that it is not impossible to replace with a press but there certainly are question marks.
    Giant Reign X1