Rock shox xc32 air. Judder under braking?

mulley
mulley Posts: 70
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Since getting my much liked whyte 629 I have had my forks judder under hard braking, at first I put it down to new brakes and everything else possibly being a little 'new'. Doesn't appear to be going away though, any one had similar concerns with rs xc32's. Definitely not thehead cos you can see the lowers almost a blur as they vibrate. Only does it under heavy braking and otherwise can't fault them!
Giant TCR
Planet X Exocet 2
Trek superfly fs

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    mulley wrote:
    Definitely not thehead cos you can see the lowers almost a blur as they vibrate. Only does it under heavy braking and otherwise can't fault them!

Do you mean "definitely not the headset"?

Just because you can see the lowers move doesn't mean that movement isn't starting at the headset - it just would be more noticable at the far end which would move further. Anyway - I'd still make a point of checking that the headset is properly installed (2-3mm "spare" spacer above steerer, tightened til no movement, etc) before looking elsewhere.
  • mulley
    mulley Posts: 70
    I checked the head movement the first time i rode it and noticed it, there seems to be no movement at all. I was thinking it could be the bushes not installed correctly, dont know how rock shox bushes are fitted but i have rebuilt fox 32's in the past and the depth of the bush determines how tight they are on the stanchions but I have no knowledge of the RS's.
    Giant TCR
    Planet X Exocet 2
    Trek superfly fs
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Calipers/rotors/mounts all done up tight?
  • I had a similar issue when I changed rotors - and as the only thing I'd altered it appeared to be that ....

They had a different shape and appeared that the shape/design of the rotor meant there was more metal for the pads to grip at many points of the rotor, where it had a pointy bit, then in the 'dip' there was less contact area ... hence the grip ... less grip .... grip .... less grip ... appeared to make the front brake judder.

Put a more rounded profile rotor on and ........ totally smooth !

So - that's a possibility perhaps ?
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 (+ upgrades.....!)