Lockout/blowoff issue

scarbs85
scarbs85 Posts: 170
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
The blow off on my forks lockout seems to be rather "soft". It does lock, but only takes a firm push down on the bars to blow through into the travel.

I've just serviced the forks, and as its the first time Ive ever done it Im rather inexperienced. Everything has gone back together and the fork is working smoothly, except for the lock out (and havent played with rebound yet). I never touched the rebound/lock out stanchion during servicing, but am now wondering if it may have leaked some oil, giving me this problem. Lock worked fine pre-service.

Any suggestions as to potential issue here? Thanks

(And for anyone who read my other thread, I havent put 15wt in the rebound, and have just ordered some 5wt to try servicing the rebound.)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    And the fork is a?
    and year?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Generally it can be soft for two reasons. Inherently there is some 'sag' in the system even when it is locked off - call it a cm - in teh case of mine - Fox Vanilla. This may even 'creep' with use over the long term. Secondly when you initiate the lock it will take some cycles of pumping it to restore the lock. As well as that if you tip the thing upside down - not a bad idea for keeping the washers lubricated - the system takes some time to settle down anyway - including the lock. So don't expect the lock off to be rock solid.
  • scarbs85
    scarbs85 Posts: 170
    Its a 2011 RockShox Tora TK, sorry thought Id put that in the post. Thanks Lagrange, so before I pull it apart again, I ought to let it settle for a while? Its definitely not a sag thing, the fork locks but a firm shove pushes it through the lock and into the travel.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just the way it is, the blowoff is non adjustable.
  • I have a similar issue with my 2009 Recon solo SL Air shock. I did a full service (damper and air side) a couple of months ago and after about 6 rides the lockout stopped working. Like you say you can just push through it. The fork used to lock almost rigid before and took a lot of force to push through the floodgate and then it would only go about 20mm. Now it's like the lockout isn't doing anything.

I haven't had a chance to dismantle to see what's going on yet. I spoke with my LBS about it and they suggested the oil levels may be wrong. Maybe a seal is leaking or the lockout is defective.