Hi guys from East Yorkshire

Andy36
Andy36 Posts: 30
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Hi Everyone

I have already posted a couple of times but thought I better come and say HI in the newbie section plus I was just wondering if there are many of you in Hull/east yorkshire are where you might let a newbie tag along and pick your brains etc :lol:

Andy

Comments

• ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    hey east yorkshire here too! too windy to head out so forums it is today lol
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Andy36
    ianbar wrote:
    hey east yorkshire here too! too windy to head out so forums it is today lol

Definitely to windy to be out,I am having a couple days of work back on Wednesday so just enjoying doing nothing!!! Where abouts are you I am up near Keyingham are you in a club or anything?

Sorry for all the questions :lol:
  • ianbar
    i am near beverley, oh keyinham pretty flat out there? no not in a club not fast enough though depending how i do this year i may dare to take the plunge! im hoping to be out tomorrow
    enigma esprit
  • Andy36
    ianbar wrote:
    i am near beverley, oh keyinham pretty flat out there? no not in a club not fast enough though depending how i do this year i may dare to take the plunge! im hoping to be out tomorrow

Yeah I suppose it is perfect flat roads to ease myself into the sport gently !!!

I have planned a few routes already for myself not short of places to go round here can not wait to get going!!

Hopefully the wind will ease of for you tomorrow?
  • ianbar
    yeah never actually ridden down there but got wires wedding dress from roos last year and it looked a nice area. get yourself on strava that will help your motivation. how much of a newbie are you? yeah looks like a few mph less tomorrow i may have to brave it!
    enigma esprit
  • Andy36
    ianbar wrote:
    yeah never actually ridden down there but got wires wedding dress from roos last year and it looked a nice area. get yourself on strava that will help your motivation. how much of a newbie are you? yeah looks like a few mph less tomorrow i may have to brave it!

I'm new bud I use to cycle everywhere when I was younger then I just got lazy to be honest!!!

I am getting married in July another reason why I am starting cycling I need to loose a bit of weight!!!

I like Beverley a lot we go up there a fare bit for the market and just for a walk around, I downloaded strava earlier when I was looking at the app it came up with a few places near me to go.
  • ianbar
    cangrats, yeah i tried to put the miles in to lose a bit before ours. strava is great will spur you on good. soon you will be riding to the market!
    enigma esprit
  • Andy36
    Lol maybe yeah you never know I suppose It would be a good ride out but until then nice and steady!!!!
  • ianbar
    just get out and ride as often as you can and enjoy!
    enigma esprit
  • ianbar
    oh plus...dont worry about people saying they ride 20+ mph!
    enigma esprit
  • Andy36
    I will be out as often as I can all been well, next thing is deciding the best thing to wear should I get some padded cycling shorts then put track suit bottoms over them and I read I shouldn't wear loose t shirts either, have you got any advice please bud?
    I am going to get an helmet tho.
  • ianbar
    oh god you have to have a helmet! yeah get some padded bib shorts, i also wear under shorts which have padding too.you may want bib tights though since its still cold and shorts for summer. it all depends how much cash you have/willing to spend. i started off with altura kit (bib shorts & top both from evans cycles) then got bought a mavic top as a present and now i am fully kitted out in that. although that is a much more expensive brand. you will almost certainly want a few layers at this time of year.
    enigma esprit
  • Andy36
    ianbar wrote:
    oh god you have to have a helmet! yeah get some padded bib shorts, i also wear under shorts which have padding too.you may want bib tights though since its still cold and shorts for summer. it all depends how much cash you have/willing to spend. i started off with altura kit (bib shorts & top both from evans cycles) then got bought a mavic top as a present and now i am fully kitted out in that. although that is a much more expensive brand. you will almost certainly want a few layers at this time of year.

Thanks very much for all that info I just looked on eBay at most of the stuff you mentioned so I have got an idea what I need I will try and get them local if possible saves me sending for them!!
    Our lass will be laughing like hell when she sees me in them bad boys(tights) lol

Thanks bud
  • ianbar
    lol i know you probably feel daft at first but once you get riding you wont care and maybe even a bit showy lol sports direct i think is still pretty good for cheaper starter gear and its either aldi or lidl that i know people buy off too.you will soon realise that spening on cycling can be pretty endless! what bike have you got?
    enigma esprit
  • Andy36
    ianbar wrote:
    lol i know you probably feel daft at first but once you get riding you wont care and maybe even a bit showy lol sports direct i think is still pretty good for cheaper starter gear and its either aldi or lidl that i know people buy off too.you will soon realise that spening on cycling can be pretty endless! what bike have you got?

I am sorry to say I haven't got a bike yet I nearly bought one at weekend from halfords but I held back for the minute I keep looking on EBay but I'm a bit concerned what your buying on there with threads I read on stolen bikes which I would hate the idea of me buying one of those to be honest!!

Went in the bike shops at weekend and the cheapest where like £1000 to £4000 I have set myself a limit for now and if I get into it I don't mind spending a fare amount on a bike does that make sense?

There a couple of lads on here with bikes for sale not to far away so just waiting on some pictures etc you never know I might have a bike for the weekend :-)
  • ianbar
    well yeah bikes are expensive. nothing too wrong with a boardman tho. sales are place to look but most sizes will have gone now. my first bike was £550 from cliff pratt a forme rapide, unfortunatly 6 months later stolen! but it did the job fine so for your first dont worry too much about making it all singing and dancing!
    enigma esprit
  • Andy36
    I sort of liked the boardman but to be honest it didn't do anything for me it was the budget one I actually preferred the look of halfords carrera but I thought I can wait for a couple more weeks and see what I can get used better spec etc and hopefully I won't want to keep upgrading etc if you know what I mean!
    I went into cliff pratts at the weekend some lovely bikes In There but I don't think there was anything in there less than £800!!!
    My budget is around £500 and I want to stick to it I don't want to go daft you know just incase......
  • ianbar
    well there is always a bit of room for negotiating especially if your buying the odd bit of gear too.just had quick look on evans site and 2 bikes at £500 hit me, pinnacle dolomite and scott speedster which looks pretty good to me.everyone sets out on not trying to upgrade....not many succeed! buy used is actually the most sensible way to go about it.
    enigma esprit
  • Andy36
    Yeah thanks for that Ian (I assume your name is Ian) I like the Scott bike, the nearest one is york I just googled it I might have a ride up there at weekend the Scott looks ok tho it's and idea hopefully!

Thanks mate
  • Hi, from east yorkshire aswell. good luck with the cycling, atleast you have some nice flat roads to break you into it. i wouldnt worry about all the clothing to start with but padded shorts are a god send and i also wouldnt be with a helmet (you never know when it might come i handy). If your interested i have a cube peleton forsale thts in your budget. If not i hope you find what you are looking for.
    Felt AR3 2015
    Cannondale Supersix Evo 2016
  • Andy36
    jelley321 wrote:
    Hi, from east yorkshire aswell. good luck with the cycling, atleast you have some nice flat roads to break you into it. i wouldnt worry about all the clothing to start with but padded shorts are a god send and i also wouldnt be with a helmet (you never know when it might come i handy). If your interested i have a cube peloton forsale thts in your budget. If not i hope you find what you are looking for.

Hi there (jelley)

Where are you from bud anywhere near?

I am interested in the cube mate if you have some more information and maybe some pictures i would appreciate it. I haven't made a decision as yet?

Thanks
  • Before Jelley chipped in I was gonna tell you two to get a room! :lol:

Sounds like you have too much money for our little club. I have a Triban 3. Great starter bike, very popular with fantastic reviews. Lots of posts on T3's on here. Check them out mate, well worth considering. :wink:
  • Im in anlaby, so not to far away at all. Heres the link to the bike in the forsale section, should have all the details you'll need. just let me know if your interested

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12902725
    Felt AR3 2015
  • Andy36
    Before Jelley chipped in I was gonna tell you two to get a room! :lol:

Sounds like you have too much money for our little club. I have a Triban 3. Great starter bike, very popular with fantastic reviews. Lots of posts on T3's on here. Check them out mate, well worth considering. :wink:

Lol thanks for that... I will have a look
  • Andy36
    jelley321 wrote:
    Im in anlaby, so not to far away at all. Heres the link to the bike in the forsale section, should have all the details you'll need. just let me know if your interested

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12902725

Hi mate would there be any movement on price
  • Andy36 wrote:
    Yeah thanks for that Ian (I assume your name is Ian) I like the Scott bike, the nearest one is york I just googled it I might have a ride up there at weekend the Scott looks ok tho it's and idea hopefully!

Thanks mate

Quite possibly mate, if your interested in having a look then just let me know and ill email you about coming to look at it and can see what we can sort out. cheers Sam
    Felt AR3 2015
  • some of you still needs more clothing such as compression shorts, you can visit http://www.ecompressionshorts.com.
  • Andy36
    Hi mate I just read your sales thread I think your bike will be to small for me bud if you say it's to small for you I am 5'10/5'11 sorry it's a shame really