Emails from self important people.

MickTup
MickTup Posts: 159
edited February 2013 in The cake stop
Why do some people feel it necessary to put a load of letters after their name in an email? When others clearly feel no need what so ever. For example one block who we deal with adds FFA, FIAB, FFTA what does this mean.

Comments

• GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Most folk who use post nominal letters are trying to make some sort of statement, usually of the 'look how qualified I am' type. Frankly I don't bother as the post moms I'd be entitled to use probably say more about how UNqualified I am!

It's situation dependant though, for example, if you were looking for someone with a certain set of skills, the use of the appropriate post noms is a quick and easy way to do it.

Frankly though, most post nominal letters can be pretty much bought with membership of one organisation or another.

GavH MCGI, MCMI, MInstAM, DMS, IMC, LCIPD, ABCD.
  • Because its important that you proles know how much more competent we are than you.

After all, you have to have a reason to feel inferior so its to help you not feel inferior for no good reason at all.

Seriously, for some work areas, it just shows you are qualified and competent to undertake a particular role or offer insight but some are less relevent e.g. BA means able to flip burgers effectively whereas DPhil means 'pretentious tw@t' ;)

I'm a BEng CEng FIET which means 'old, out of date geek who has done more things in their career than most so respect your elders' :D
  • Apparently, the head of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory has a business card that is blank apart from his name, and the phrase "rocket scientist".

Less is more.
  • MickTup
    MickTup Posts: 159
    Thanks for your replies I knew i could rely on somebody on here to make Monday morning more tolerable.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,161
    Yeah, I have to use mine as it is the standard company policy on our email signatures but it's pretty pointless. Some of the most unprofessional twaddle I've seen in emails comes from people with the most letters but that's not a surprise. When I worked in the public sector the best graduates tended to just on with their job and get the standard qualifications (CEng MICE or MIStructE) whilst there were others who were rubbish at their job but were management favourites and ended up going on courses all the time and collected useless (in our line of work) letters such MBAs and membership of any remotely associated institution they could find.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    MickTup wrote:
    When others clearly feel no need what so ever.

Or maybe they don't actually have any! We once weren't allowed to put professional qualifications on business cards - probably due to someone high up feeling insecure over not having any! It can matter - if you are telling people what to do it does at least give a hint that just maybe you might know what you are talking about!

I can put 20 letters after my name* but I tend not to as I can never remember what order they are supposed to be in :lol:

*none of them MBA or suchlike!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    You don't HAVE to be qualified in my game so postnominals area a quick and easy way of letting others know that they are not dealing with a twonk. Normally cuts through a lot of bull****.
    The downside is that some can view you as pretentious.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I have letters after my name and they're shown on my work email signature. My employer can demand more money for my services (the letters signify a certain level of intelligence, application of industry standards and best practises and vast experience) so it's fitting that the letters are there to see. And I also worked hard to earn them.

I don't have them anywhere else; that would be pretentious.

BEng CEng MICE, in case anyone is interested.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    On a related note, I work with software developers, business folk and scientists (used to be one).

I once heard it said that Scientists dress as informally/shabbily as they possibly can, for exactly the same reason that young business types up-dress. It's to show the world that they are the best at what they do.

Also, I've yet to meet a Scientist who puts letters after their name. Generally, it is Dr Joe Bloggs or nothing.
  • I think it's best to use them as much as possible, never mind email you should add them to the end of ext messages as well.

Pauldavid ENGi BENGi
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    I work in the NHS* and unless your qualifications are clinical they mean nowt so i would never really share my engineering ones from my early career, and more recently managerial qualifications as it just means nothing engaging clinicians.

* bad time to admit this granted!
  • jawooga wrote:
    On a related note, I work with software developers, business folk and scientists (used to be one).

I once heard it said that Scientists dress as informally/shabbily as they possibly can, for exactly the same reason that young business types up-dress. It's to show the world that they are the best at what they do.

Working as a software developer, on the days when weren't meeting clients....T-shirt and shorts whatever, meeting a client "Booted and Suited".
    One day in T-Shirt urgently called to a client in the city to demonstrate software...............
    I don't know if it was my imagination, but felt my presence had more impact in a T-shirt etc. than smart and polished.
  • Pross wrote:
    ........ whilst there were others who were rubbish at their job but were management favourites and ended up going on courses all the time and collected useless (in our line of work) letters such MBAs

The views of the late great Arnold Weinstock who created the mighty GEC were well known as he would not let the company fund or attend such a course on company time. When challenged, he pointed out that MBA stood for 'means bugger all' and that he would rather have practical, experienced people than textbook readers :)
  • Well, I think letters after a name are important.

Regards

D Campbell Bsc.

(Bsc = Bronze swimming certificate). Nicked from Rimmer in Red Dwarf. :wink:
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    GavH wrote:
    Frankly though, most post nominal letters can be pretty much bought with membership of one organisation or another.

Ha ha, you try just buying MICE :lol::lol::lol:

The thing that always gets me is whether to put Eur Ing Dr before my name or just Dr :?
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • millster
    millster Posts: 209
    e.g. BA means able to flip burgers effectively whereas DPhil means 'pretentious tw@t' ;)

Erm, as someone who is only just starting their career, I have to argue that the BA (Hons) that I acheived helped me get the position I am in now. Granted it was the standard of that qualification that contributed, but I would hope that your comment was rather tongue in cheek than fully serious.

Us "kids" really do have no chance if the ones meant to be showing us the way have views like this!