Johhny Hoogerland badly injured.

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited February 2013 in Pro race
Johhny Hoogerland is in the IC ward of a hospital near Benidorm, Spain after a very nasty training accident.A motorist wanted to turn right and hit Johnny head on, apparently not seeing him. Hoogerland was taken to hospital where his injuries include 5 broken ribs, 4 broken vertebrae and a torn liver. Hope he gets back on the bike soon.
Ademort
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    Flipping hell!!

This seems to be becoming some sort of sport in itself this year! Who ve we had now...

Wiggo
    Shane Sutton
    Cav
    Ballan
    Burry Stander
    Hoogerland

How many more now...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Terrible news ...obviously, I hope he recovers asap.

I'd completely forgotten about 'that' barbed wire incident in the TdF, does anybody know what the outcome was of the EuroMedia /car driver legal preceedings?
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    hope he gets better soon. Always a popular rider who lights up any race he is in

I'd completely forgotten about 'that' barbed wire incident in the TdF, does anybody know what the outcome was of the EuroMedia /car driver legal preceedings?

He must hate cars more than your average roadie.

If I recall there was an article in CN saying if he didn't get an out of court settlement before a set date it was going to trial, then nothing. So I assume they ponied up some money. Still makes me shudder thinking about it.

But having watched the caravan fall down the side of the Tourmalet I'm amazed there aren't more accidents. They drive like unmitigated tw**s.

I read last year that Flecha had decided to take it to court. Dont know about Hoogs.
  • ademort
    Update to Johnny,s condition
    The hospital where Johnny is being treated have revealed that his injuries are now thought not to be as bad as first thought. He does have 5 broken ribs as was originally stated however his liver is not torn but bruised and he does not have 4 broken verabrae as first reported but does have pieces of bone in his spine between verabrae 8 and 12. Johnny is expected to remain in IC till Wednesday or Thursday and it says he should then be well enough to be transferred back to the Netherlands to recover at home.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • As someone who has fractured a few vertebrae I can safely say it really really hurts. Can't see him getting back on the bike for a while.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Snakbar wrote:
    As someone who has fractured a few vertebrae I can safely say it really really hurts. Can't see him getting back on the bike for a while.
    I know the feelings.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Disaster! I was really looking forward to watching him race this year.I think he's a real hero.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Hoping he makes a full recovery. Can't decide if he's unlucky or just lucky after his tangles with vehicles! Always remember his interviews following tdf, very humble and kept in perspective. Would like to think I could be same in similar situation
  • ademort
    Johnny has left IC but is expected to stay in hospital for another 5 to 7 days. It is expected that he will make a full recovery.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Great news, he's a tough cookie that one!
  • Might be best for that's lads health to switch careers.
  • Shame as he is a good rider & to injured again so badly by another vehicle is just hard luck.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Given the hard case rep of Mr Johnny, I recon' the car probably came of worst. GWS JH
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks