Wifes new bike

bowden769
bowden769 Posts: 143
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
what is beta

Carrera Valcun or Specialized Rockhopper SL 2011. Trying to sort the mrs out with a lighter bike she seems to struggle on the accents

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Scots or Welch accents?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But some info would help - links to the bikes, what does she ride. Does she even want to ride.
    And for my own curiosity, what you ride.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    But some info would help - links to the bikes, what does she ride. Does she even want to ride.

You're only being (kind of) nice because he shares the same taste in avatars. Snap out of it!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Clearly an accented keyboard....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad wrote:

She already has the valcun, the speesh is for sale on here in the for sale section, she does want to ride but she stuggles getting up the hills, she says that the bike is too heavy. I ride a boardman comp HT, what do u ride ..
  • cooldad
    If you get the Spesh, take the Recon Golds - well worth the extra.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • will do !!

is the spesh alot lighter than the valcun
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    This Spesh? Looks pretty good to me, and I would take the air forks.

I would expect that the Rockhopper would be significantly lighter than a Carrera Vulcan. Vulcans are 31-32 lbs I think - and I'd guess that this Rockhopper might be 3-4 lbs lighter than that... maybe more.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • cooldad
    bowden769 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

She already has the valcun, the speesh is for sale on here in the for sale section, she does want to ride but she stuggles getting up the hills, she says that the bike is too heavy. I ride a boardman comp HT, what do u ride ..
    Was just asking as I see loads of wives/kids out on the trails riding nasty heavy BSO's and looking miserable whilst the husband/father has a few grands worth of carbon loveliness.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited February 2013
    VULCAN....Spesh.....a lot......ascent....... sorry but it's driving me nuts!

The vulcans weigh about 13.5Kg give or take, I doubt the hopper is much lighter.

For what you'd spend you'd get a lighter better bike spending half that on improving the Vulcan, so better tyres, lighter tubes and a decent pair of used forks would cost you about £100-125 and would save between 1 and 1.5Kg.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Ascent. Ascent. Ascent. You're both driving me nuts.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools