What to do with chain when transporting bike

ad_snow
ad_snow Posts: 469
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Hi guys,

When I take my bike in the car (not allowed it on a rack since I scratched the car paintwork...) what should I do with the chain to stop it marking floors/walls/car seats/everything?

At the mo I tie a plastic bag around it once the wheels are off and this works quite well but it's not perfect.

Anyone got any tips?

Cheers

Comments

• MattyyP
    MattyyP Posts: 142
    Get a boot liner...
    Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    Bin bag wrapped around the whole lot before it goes in the car. Don't try to re-use it for the return journey.

Pete
  • Bought one of these for use when putting the bike in the car, pretty cheap and does the job. Easy to clean the inside too.

http://www.chaincondom.com
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Only take off the front wheel and lay the bike on its non drivetrain side. Chain is then exposed exclusively to air!!
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    garyk72 wrote:
    Only take off the front wheel and lay the bike on its non drivetrain side. Chain is then exposed exclusively to air!!

That's fine sometimes but when the car is packed for a week away then space in my little hatchback is a premium :lol:
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Old blankets and towels are your friend, that will be my plan :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Fit a removeable chainlink and take chain off.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I use an old and large set of curtain lining which I use to wrap around the bike in the boot. Job jobbed and I get a green tick?

Corners
  • I bought a bike bag to carry my bike in the car. I can't remember how much it was but no more than £50 I think, it's big enough to get a few bits in there as well,milked helmet and clothing. Google bike bags I'm sure you'll get one cheap enough.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I use split plumbing insulation foam for protecting frames en route but you can use it for chains. The advantage is that it stops the chain from getting wrapped around itself. You can apply 2 length to the chain before removing the wheel.