Adjusting cleats, my feet hurt

VTech
VTech Posts: 4,736
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
went for a ride today and my right foot is killing me, my left isnt bad at all ???
I was unsure wether this was simply getting used to the new shoes and peddling with the front of my foot or as someone mentioned in another thread, was it that the cleats need adjusting ?
Any ideas ? How would I know if I had them right ?
Living MY dream.

Comments

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    You need to cut off your right foot, that will solve the pain, or you might have tightened up the right one too much
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Generally you are looking to get the ball of your foot over the axle of the pedal.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Has anyone suggested you need a full Retul bike fit. Really Expensive at £150 though.
  • VTech
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Has anyone suggested you need a full Retul bike fit. Really Expensive at £150 though.

you know, its quite funny how youve picked up on the whole money issue, ive never complained about the money, ive complained about the way you guys are taken advantage of.
    Like I said before, you really dont know if I have £100 in the bank or £2,500,000 !
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech
    smidsy wrote:
    Generally you are looking to get the ball of your foot over the axle of the pedal.

It feels more like its being fed the ball of the foot and both feet tightened the same, neither feel too tight and only the right one aches.
    Living MY dream.
  • nolight
    nolight Posts: 261
    My left and right foot also feels difference. Left foot feels tighter. To be fair, the cleat position is a bit different so I'm gonna try again after adjustment.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Your feet won't hurt from cleat adjustment, it's the knee that feels the difference in position.

I'd probably say that the shoes are a bit tight or just need bedding in a little more (If they're new shoes)
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    I suffered a lot with pain in my left foot when wearing my Northwave Aerlite road shoes. It turned out that the shoes were too big. I have wide feet and bought a size 12 to provide the wdith needed. However, shoes manufacturers make certain assumptions when sizing shoes and the cleat holes on mine were too far forward, so the ankle was too far forward. I bought some wider shoes and the problem went away almost overnight (after nearly a year of discomfort).

I found this article very useful

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blog/2011/04/power-to-the-pedal-cleat-position/]/url]
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Sit on the edge of a kitchen unit, see the angles where your feet naturally fall, adjust the cleats so your feet are in the similar position when clipped in.
  • VTech
    Thanks for the advice, ill try that out.
    Living MY dream.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Look at your shoe fit or over-tightening - particularly heel fit if you feet are sliding forwards and jamming your toes. As said, mis-aligned cleats usually manifests itself as sore knees.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Look at your shoe fit or over-tightening - particularly heel fit if you feet are sliding forwards and jamming your toes. As said, mis-aligned cleats usually manifests itself as sore knees.

Agreed, but his tends to be when they are wrong in the left/right sense.

If the cleat is mouted too close to the toes then it puts all the pressure too far fowards which can then cause discomfort in the foot arch/toes etc.

I also agree that over tightening can be the issue but this would often be acompanied with pins and needles/numbness.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • VTech
    My shoes do have rear fitting unit which I have not adjusted and the feel I do get is that the cleat is too close to my toes if that makes sense.
    I'm going to get fitted to the bike and have the guy show me how to fit the shoes at the same time.
    It is possible that I've tightened up the shoes too much, I have a wide flat foot and the shoes are far from the usual shape of footware I have.
    Living MY dream.
  • I find that my right foot suffers more because at stops/junctions etc, I unclip my left foot so my right does not move around as much.