Avid juicy issues.

simmo70
simmo70 Posts: 72
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi got avid juicy ultimate brakes on my bike that used to feel fantastic but now they dont seem to have a very progressive feel when you pull the lever there on straight away, no travel in the lever up to bite point just wondering is there something i can do to sort this out, i have bled them both which makes no difference and although one is better than the other they both could feel better Any advise cheers!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So what is the problem?

Back he pad contact adjuster off.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The pad contacter dial doesnt do anything and never has had these brakes since 2007
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Underfill the system for a greater deadband. Though this comes with its own issues.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    simmo70 wrote:
    The pad contacter dial doesnt do anything and never has had these brakes since 2007
    It will do.

Adjust it. Reset the pads ,set them go ride. Adjust to suit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Sorry am i missing something 'adjust' what the dial doesnt do anything! i remember reading a while back that the pad adjust is a useless feature?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Have you actually used the dial?
  • Erm....they are the Juicy Ultimates. They are a pretty adjustable brake and the price tag reflects that. The pad adjust should definitely do something whether or not you can "see" it doing anything.

When we bleed avid brakes in the workshop we usually have to bleed them a couple of times to get them feeling where we want them. (And we've all been to Windsor to learn how from the guys at SRAM Tech)

You may want to give it another go, but make sure you follow the instructions carefully, especially making sure you adjust the levers to the right distance away from the handlebar like they say in the manual. We find this usually makes or breaks the bleed.
  • Pistons cleaned & lubricated?
    Bleed done 100% right?