First 100!

MattyyP
MattyyP Posts: 142
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Did my first 100 miler today(it was actually 105.3 miles ;) Aha) and boy does it feel good! Managed it in six hours due to riding with the club i'm with for the vast majority of it! It's a ride I shall not be topping for a while though, when I hit the last ten miles it was a pain to keep going, my legs were burning like crazy! The ride had 1483 meters of climbing in which was definitely enough! Anyway, I just had to tell you guys aha!
Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
B'Twin Rockrider 9.1

Comments

• trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    It be far more impressive if you done it by yourself :wink:
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • Well done.
  • Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    Well done mate. Hopefully I'll be able to hit my first century this year
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Good work.

Any century this time of year is good going (especially at the moment with the wind up), so you're right to feel chuffed with yourself.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    congrats,thats a brilliant effort with a lot of climbing so you have every right to feel good with yourself.
    well done.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Great going - you should feel pleased with yourself and remember to tell family, workmates and you'll get some replies like I would feel tired driving that amount of miles. I bet your hungry afterwords as I usually feel so.

Whats more nobody else has mentioned its early in the year as well so your fitness is up but be careful not to over do it so early in the year.

As mentioned it harder to do a century on your own but not terribly so.

Whats your next target?
    Brian B.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Chapeau
  • Well done fella, 100miles is 100miles whether in a group or not YOUR LEGS turned the cranks.

Hope it's the first of many. :D
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • MattyyP
    MattyyP Posts: 142
    Cheers guys!!! :)

trooperk wrote:

I'll let you know when this happens ;) It'll no doubt be summer though haha!
    Brian B wrote:
    Great going - you should feel pleased with yourself and remember to tell family, workmates and you'll get some replies like I would feel tired driving that amount of miles. I bet your hungry afterwords as I usually feel so.

Whats more nobody else has mentioned its early in the year as well so your fitness is up but be careful not to over do it so early in the year.

As mentioned it harder to do a century on your own but not terribly so.

Whats your next target?

I was starving, luckily I had a sunday roast waiting for me when I got home which sort of filled me... lol. I don't really know what's best to eat to aid recovery though, i'd assume anything with plenty of carbs and protein in? But i'm not a nutritionist lol.

Next target is probably 100 miles alone, possibly even the same route as today as it's one hell of a route! But I may look at doing some shorter distances 20ish miles, but fast, however i'm still getting over the fact I did the 100 miler today haha!
    Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • Awesome effort, I did my first 100km this weekend and I am still on a high from that!!!
    Summer - Wilier la Triestina
    Winter - Trek 1.2
    Turbo bike - Trek 1.2
    I love my Trek 1.2
  • The 100 miler I do from Wakefield to Castleton and back takes in most of the last 60km of the second stage of the 2014 Tour de France and its an absolute killer with the likes of The Strines, Winnats Pass, the Snake Pass and Holme Moss all on the same route. Its a right laff....NOT.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • TommyB61
    TommyB61 Posts: 103
    Great effort, congrats!
  • nick1972
    nick1972 Posts: 144
    Congrats fella. I'm hoping for my first 50 and 100 miler this year
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    well done, think i am going to aim for my first ton this season too.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    trooperk wrote:

Blimey...and I thought I was a misery :?

I am sensing you have not done many 100 mile rides :P

100 miles is a damn good ride even if it was in a group for any of it.

Well done OP and ignore grumps :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Good work fella!
  • Fucking fair play to ya mate I just done my first 40 miles weekend just gone that was hard enough so to think off doing that again plus 20 bloody fair play to ya my friend I hope to be there one day
  • themekon
    themekon Posts: 197
    trooperk wrote:

Why would anyone in their right mind want to ride a 100 miles on their own. Unless it's a time trial.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    themekon wrote:
    trooperk wrote:

Why would anyone in their right mind want to ride a 100 miles on their own. Unless it's a time trial.
    Well,as grumpy said in the first reply.it would be far more impressive if done alone.So theres just one reason.
    To spin it back,why would any one want to do a 100 in a group just to have some one knock it.Door swings both ways.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Well done. I did 110 miles many years ago in my yoof and it nearly killed me (didn't think about water and food in those days, and the wind turned 180 degrees so was against me all the way there and back!).

Looking to do my first 100 miles as a senior on 19th May when I do the Longleg sportive (80 miles) and then add on another 20 to hit the tonne.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • themekon
    themekon Posts: 197
    elderone wrote:
    themekon wrote:
    trooperk wrote:

Well,as grumpy said in the first reply.it would be far more impressive if done alone.So theres just one reason.
    To spin it back,why would any one want to do a 100 in a group just to have some one knock it.Door swings both ways.
    Does it matter if somebody knocks it?. Do you really want to ride to impress others?.It is still an achievement to cover 100 miles for a beginner, in a group or not.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    themekon wrote:
    trooperk wrote:

From March onwards I do rides of 100 - 170 miles on my own every week if not doing a sportive. I love just getting out on the quiet country roads of northern England/Scotland and doing a day in the hills on my own. I have a busy life as most people do and dont mind being on my own and actually enjoy the peace and quiet.

I think nothing of driving 2-3hours doing a really hilly century plus ride on quiet scenic roads and driving home.
    Brian B.