First ride, First time using cleats.

VTech
VTech Posts: 4,736
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
OK, so after a few mishaps along the way I finally got to a point where I could do a road ride this afternoon.
I took the car to a drop-off point and set about clipping myself into the bike and set off. I had a route planned but I didnt follow it, the truth is, I didnt know if a was too knackered to be scared or too scared to be knackered ! but either way I had other things on my mind than following the nav :wink:

Anyway, quite quickly in I realised that it was probably a good thing that I didnt ride with the club this morning as I doubt I could have kept up, I managed decent busts of speed, upto 50kmh+ but these were sporadic at best and I maintained a lowly speed overall.
Anyway, I cant say I enjoyed it but I think that was down to having to think about so many different things but im sure I will as I gain experience and stamina.
The cleats are a new experience but again, im sure ill get used to them in time, I didnt fall off but im sure theres time for that.
So, all in all im on the move forward.

Here are my results:

http://app.strava.com/activities/39619852
Living MY dream.

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Nice one.

Do not worry about numbers and speeds for now. You are out there and doing it and that is all that matters. First ride and first clipless and using GPS is all quite a lot of stuff going on at the same time so not surprised you feel unsure.

Keep at it, it gets easier and more enjoyable the more comfortable you become.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • VTech
    Funny thing is, my body felt like it could manage more km but my feet were killing me, really hurting around where the cleats fitted. I managed to get out of the saddle a few times which was a wonderful feeling but those feet !
    Living MY dream.
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    Sounds like your cleats need adjusting!
  • SMAC19
    SMAC19 Posts: 31
    ad_snow wrote:
    Sounds like your cleats need adjusting!

^^^Totally agree^^^

Or, maybe your shoes were too tight...?
    Rose XEON CRS5000
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    good effort,just keep at it and keep positive and it will get easier,so they say.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    First ride in cleats and you're taking roundabouts in central Redditch...
    I would have looked for some more rural areas if I was you.

Can't go wrong with the Cotswolds if you don't mind driving a little bit. Some excellent quiet roads over that way.
  • VTech
    lawrences wrote:
    First ride in cleats and you're taking roundabouts in central Redditch...
    I would have looked for some more rural areas if I was you.

Can't go wrong with the Cotswolds if you don't mind driving a little bit. Some excellent quiet roads over that way.

TBF, the journey I rode wasnt the one intended, I took so many wrong turns trying to concentrate :oops:

One thing that surprised me, well two really was how grippy the tyres are and how stiff the ride is. It was like taking one of the work cars on the track, it shook my bones to the core.
    Living MY dream.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    What tyres do you have (23,s 25,s etc.) and what pressures are you running?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Has anyone suggested you need a full Retul bike fit. Really Expensive at £150 though.
  • VTech
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Has anyone suggested you need a full Retul bike fit. Really Expensive at £150 though.

Ive replied to your other suggestion of the same thing. Im happy to pay that although it really will take the wind out of me.
    Living MY dream.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    VTech wrote:
    I took the car to a drop-off point and set about clipping myself into the bike and set off.

Unless you are heading somewhere particularly scenic (not central Reditch lol) or off on an organised ride I'm confused where the car came in? Doesn't that defeat the point a bit? Most of my rides are - out the drive and see where I end up :lol:

If its all a bit overwhelming leave the GPS at home, just head out and stick to local MINOR roads you know well. Avoid A roads and roundabouts. Just get out and cruise till you feel more comfortable.
  • VTech
    I live in the countryside and the road that feeds the 6 estates is in great disrepair so its not fit to ride and I didn't want to walk nearly half a mile in cycle shoes.
    Living MY dream.
  • philwint
    VTech wrote:
    I live in the countryside and the road that feeds the 6 estates is in great disrepair so its not fit to ride and I didn't want to walk nearly half a mile in cycle shoes.

If you can drive down it you can cycle down it to be honest. If you can only get down in a tractor, then consider a mountain bike :D
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    philwint wrote:
    Most of my rides are - out the drive and see where I end up :lol:
    Hopefully back at home ... otherwise you've gone wrong and need the GPS to find your way back?! ;)

To the OP - using cleats will come with practice - so just get out and do a few local (low speed) runs - clipping in and out, stopping/starting. If you're getting pain in the knee then perhaps your cleat positioning is wrong, pain in the foot could be shoes - but it shouldn't be any more uncomfortable than riding with flats.
    Also - you say your road is unridable - well, at speed it may well be, but if you can drive a normal car down it then you can ride it (slowly!) - I've taken my roadie on quite a few tracks with no problem - just have to be more careful!
  • VTech
    It really is a bad road, you have to take my word on that.
    Do many of you guys use cleats whilst on a trainer ?
    Im doing 20km/day on the trainer to try and get my stamina up to a level where I can ride with the slow group at the cycling club without worry of being left at the side of a road on my own.
    Living MY dream.
  • ShutUpLegs
    philwint wrote:
    VTech wrote:

If you can drive down it you can cycle down it to be honest. If you can only get down in a tractor, then consider a mountain bike :D

Can't you club together with the other residents to pay for the road to be resurfaced?
  • VTech
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    philwint wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Can't you club together with the other residents to pay for the road to be resurfaced?

Well, thats kind of the ongoing battle we are having, the issue being that there are 6 properties and all but 2 live there due to parents owning the homes before them and the "now" owners being well into retirement and not having the funds, or at least not willing to spend.
    We are trying to get the council to take back ownership of the road, I would say there are over 200 potholes in the road with some deeper than 10"
    Living MY dream.
  • ShutUpLegs
    Are they council or social housing?
  • VTech
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Are they council or social housing?

lol, I had a reply written then had to erase and restart due to really trying hard to please and not offend.
    There is no council or social housing where I live.
    Living MY dream.
  • philwint
    I still maintain if you can drive it you can cycle it.

Did you see my PM by the way?
  • VTech
    Hi Phil,
    yes thanks, that was a good route and ive made it with the garmin for my next ride.
    the problem with the road is almost no one wants to drive it, we have damaged 2 cars and I wrote off the front suspension of my personal car on the road when I dropped into a hole brimmed with water and not realising how deep it was.
    Living MY dream.