XTR 970 Shifter wont downshift

BigStu2
BigStu2 Posts: 794
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Another of my never ending problems of late, Have just bought a new set of 9speed xtr 970 shifters.The up-shifts on the front are smooth as butter but there is no downshift on the front deraileur as the shifter wont release whether you use your thumb or old school index finger. A series of pushes or pulls or a angled push upwards eventually releases the cable and you get a shift to a smaller front chainring, anyone else had a problem with these.
Thanks
Stu
.........all
...at........work
fun..................&
..no.............no
.....is......play

Comments

• this normally occurs when there is grime build-up inside the shifter, but you said you bought it new.
    Must be something with the release spring. Open it up and have a look!
  • BigStu2
    I think i might, cant hurt to look.
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Unhook the cable from the mech - hold the cable and try shifting, pulling on the downshift.
    If it moves easily the problem isn't the shifter.
    Presume you fitted new cables as well?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Are you sure the lever is not being stopped by something like the brake? Happens to mine sometimes.
  • BigStu2
    Ok, got these working, so if anyone else has a problem heres the quick fix, Allow the cable to have much more slack than your accustomed too, I had the bike in the stand and ran through about 500 shifts, works perfectly. Would like to test them outdoors to be sure but its snowing and I have the flu :(
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play