new to road bikes- labral tear in hip issues

carsarescary
carsarescary Posts: 16
edited December 2015 in Road beginners
Hi everyone
I have been forced to retire from running. Labral tear in my hip. Gutted.

Has this happened to anyone else?

The Doc suggested cycling. Cant do no excerise as this year I had completed a half marathon and was leading up to my first full one. Not to be... :(
Anyway bought a Triban3 for Christmas and been on ebay/review sites and fully kitted.
Went out for a bit today and struggling a little with the gears and cadence rate but early days. Did 13 miles in under an hour including traffic lights.
A few things
I wasnt tired as I am fairly fit and made me realise that I can push on next time
Back of neck is very sore!!
No hip problems!! :D

Next stage is to get an indoor trainer as time is tight during the week
I didnt dislike it and it was satisfying to cycle about the distance of a half marathon. I'm sure I will grow to love it

Thanks everyone

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Congratulations, keep it up.
  • Hi

I'm a runner and a triathlete, its a different kind of tired from cycling you could probably go 3 times the distance you would running and still not feel as tired, the impact is far kinder on your body than running. Hence the doc's suggestion

Find a few big hills and power up them if you are tight for time, you'll soon feel the burn. If you dont then you aren't pedalling hard enough.

Enjoy!
  • Thanks
    I think I will need to check my handlebars re pain in neck. Or it could have been stress from the cars on a wet day!
  • Anyone else suffered with a labral tear of the hip and moved to cycling?
  • smit1
    smit1 Posts: 1
    Hi

Had same problem and had to have arthroscopy in both hips at 36. Had no trouble for 12 months then got cocky and did too much which caused it all to flare up again. Only advice I can offer is to build gradually and if you start to get pain take it easy or it will make it worse.
    Sore neck will go as you get used to being on the bike.

Cheers
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I second the build up gradually advice... Don't try to do too much too soon
  • Thanks for the advice. Still reckon I will find the gears tricky. And balance too. Great on a mountain bike...but wobble a bit on a road bike
    The triban felt good today
  • I had arthroscopic hip surgery to repair a torn labrum about a year and a half ago. There was a lot of cartilage damage. It was a running injury but, by the time of the surgery I had already swopped over to cycling.
    I am still struggling to regain form. I find that if I put any pressure on the hip early on in a ride it takes me up to an hour to recover. I've also found that I am not able to maintain a high cadence any more.
    Can anyone suggest ways to improve this?
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I have just been diagnosed with a labral tear in my hip - For those that have had the surgery what the recovery process like. I am 50 years old.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Old thread but from my experience, surgery is well worth it. Fortunate enough to have private healthcare cover through work and was recommended by a physio friend to see a Professor Griffin who was based in Coventry.

Also 50+ years of age and underwent surgery to repair the damaged labrum cartilage in the hip joint along with reshaping the head of the femur in mid-September following issues that had become apparent in the previous 18 months and could only be relieved by taking Ibuprofen, which eased the symptoms significantly.

I was able to weight bear immediately after surgery and returned to work after a week (must be daft because I was signed off for a fortnight!) I managed to get back on the bike within six weeks and was back to some easy pace running in early December.

Off for some post-op consultation today but all appears well from my perspective. If there's anybody else suffering from similar issues and contemplating surgery, I would certainly recommend it.
  • Old thread but from my experience, surgery is well worth it. Fortunate enough to have private healthcare cover through work and was recommended by a physio friend to see a Professor Griffin who was based in Coventry.

Also 50+ years of age and underwent surgery to repair the damaged labrum cartilage in the hip joint along with reshaping the head of the femur in mid-September following issues that had become apparent in the previous 18 months and could only be relieved by taking Ibuprofen, which eased the symptoms significantly.

I was able to weight bear immediately after surgery and returned to work after a week (must be daft because I was signed off for a fortnight!) I managed to get back on the bike within six weeks and was back to some easy pace running in early December.

Off for some post-op consultation today but all appears well from my perspective. If there's anybody else suffering from similar issues and contemplating surgery, I would certainly recommend it.

I just had labrum repair less than three weeks ago. The doctor is telling me to keep weight off it, but from the first day I came home, I was able to put weight on it. Almost everything I read says to keep weight off. I don't see the doctor again for 6 weeks, and he tells me only partial weight. I can walk around without a crutch, as long as I strive to have an even gait when I walk. Yet they are planning on 4 months minimum, and even then, NO CYCLING!! Maybe in ^ months, and starting off slow. I'll be a 255 lbs pig by then!! How does your hip feel now, that you've walked and rode a bit? Still feeling secure? Your doctor ok with it. I'm 59 and like to get my heart rate up.
    Thanks for any info or helpful ideas you have.
    Eddie
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Old thread but from my experience, surgery is well worth it. Fortunate enough to have private healthcare cover through work and was recommended by a physio friend to see a Professor Griffin who was based in Coventry.

I just had labrum repair less than three weeks ago. The doctor is telling me to keep weight off it, but from the first day I came home, I was able to put weight on it. Almost everything I read says to keep weight off. I don't see the doctor again for 6 weeks, and he tells me only partial weight. I can walk around without a crutch, as long as I strive to have an even gait when I walk. Yet they are planning on 4 months minimum, and even then, NO CYCLING!! Maybe in ^ months, and starting off slow. I'll be a 255 lbs pig by then!! How does your hip feel now, that you've walked and rode a bit? Still feeling secure? Your doctor ok with it. I'm 59 and like to get my heart rate up.
    Thanks for any info or helpful ideas you have.
    Eddie

Well I suppose that it's just differing medical opinion and of course each labral tear may have specific requirements (mine was judged as medium/severe I believe). All I can say is that my consultant was happy for me to pick up with exercising the hip immediately following the operation (I was encouraged whilst in hospital post-op to use a stationery cycle trainer with no resistance).

My consultant was also aware of my plans to do my first ever Ironman in Sept 15 (12 months after the operation) and his advice was simply to run off road in training where possible and to reduce the running aspect of the training if at all possible. Glad to say that I completed Weymouth Ironman 2015 in 11hrs 31 mins, which for a first timer of 50+ years was not too shabby - hoping for future improvement! The following weekend I took part in the World Age-Group Triathlon Championships in Chicago (not great timing), so it's fair to say that the hip has had a thorough examination in the last twelve months and I've suffered no ill effects.

Good luck with your recovery process but if my experience is anything to go by then all should be well!