Curious about upgrading

mogwai88
mogwai88 Posts: 8
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Hey guys, I bought myself a cheap bike last summer to see if I would like and stick at cycling. I have a Claud Butler Criterium at the minute which although isn't the best, I still love it! My question is how much more do you need in a bike before you really start to notice a difference? For example, would a Specialized Allez compact really be all that different?

Comments

• The hardware makes very little difference in actual performance. Going into the £500-1000 range gives you access to 10 speed transmissions and branded hardware. The bike you get in that range will be a little bit lighter (which isn't very important), and hopefully a little nicer all round. Diminishing returns starts to set in, though; a £900 bike is not £200 better than a £700 bike. The bottom line is that a good bike is made up of a good frame, good wheels and good parts. If you don't pay for them, you won't get them.

As for your question specifically, the Specialized is a better bike, but the difference is not worth the extra money, particularly as if you were really committed you could find something better on the used market.

For reference, my favourite bike is about 30 years old and made of plain gauge Tange no. 5; it has 5 speed gearing and weighs about 12kg currently.