Fat roadie gets dirty (again)

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited February 2013 in MTB beginners
20 years ago I got dirty with 2 mates, in a filthy woodland MMF threesome :shock:

Didn't get dirty again until today

But, prompted by kids getting new MTBs, I bought one (Voodoo Hoodoo) and took it for a very gloopy ride up Wendover Woods. Conclusions:

1) In really gloopy mud, you need a tractor to keep going
2) Disk brakes are better than rim brakes in the wet
3) Mud gets everywhere
4) Knobbly types don't seem to say "hello" like roadies do when they see each other
5) Despite no. 4), it's really good fun. And surprisingly knackering :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Now that you have the ability to effortlessly drift past assorted doggers and nonchalant, nay, aloof fellow MTBers whilst caked in mud that once adorned your rigid Muddy Fox, price tag still attached and a reminder of your once great conquests of peaks but also your continuing dedication to mortgage payments, is it still the greatest thing one can do without cleats!!!
    Voodoo Hoodoo
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    SecretSam wrote:
    20 years ago I got dirty with 2 mates, in a filthy woodland MMF threesome :shock:

Didn't get dirty again until today

But, prompted by kids getting new MTBs, I bought one (Voodoo Hoodoo) and took it for a very gloopy ride up Wendover Woods. Conclusions:

1) In really gloopy mud, you need a tractor to keep going
    2) Disk brakes are better than rim brakes in the wet
    3) Mud gets everywhere
    4) Knobbly types don't seem to say "hello" like roadies do when they see each other
    5) Despite no. 4), it's really good fun. And surprisingly knackering :lol:

4 must have been the residual Roadie hanging around you.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yeah probably spotted the Rapha stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    4) knobbly types say Hello to each other whilst roadies do not
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    SecretSam wrote:
    :lol:

Unfortunately Bellends also ride MTBs but 99% of knobbly types are friendly when spotted in the woods.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • secretsam
    OK, so apologies for the "knobblies don't say "hello"" comment, if that proves to be inaccurate, was based on a limited sample.

On a serious note, do I need to clean the blasted bike every time I take it out? Could get really tiresome :(

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    SecretSam wrote:
    On a serious note, do I need to clean the blasted bike every time I take it out? Could get really tiresome :(

nope.

just enough that it works.

wipe the forks down and the chain. light lube on the fork seals and the chain. same lube for both (not spray) will do for both.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    compo wrote:
    In my experience most but not all MTBers exchange a friendly greeting, while roadies go in for a slight nod, or an almost imperceptible flexing of the hand (not quite a 'wave' as that would be altogether too demonstrative).
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • secretsam
    nicklouse wrote:
    nope.

just enough that it works.

wipe the forks down and the chain. light lube on the fork seals and the chain. same lube for both (not spray) will do for both.

Suggestions for lube???

I've got a million more questions, when I can be bothered to download them from my brain

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Squirt for the chain.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Bartimaeus wrote:
    compo wrote:
    In my experience most but not all MTBers exchange a friendly greeting, while roadies go in for a slight nod, or an almost imperceptible flexing of the hand (not quite a 'wave' as that would be altogether too demonstrative).

It would also create extra drag which is a big no-no for a roadie.