Building up to a Sportive

anto164
anto164 Posts: 3,500
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
So, over the past 6 months i went from racing every now and then, riding fast 75 mile rides, and the odd 100mile, to riding hardly anything (Due to work and other significant factors). Now, i'm joined up to the wiggle cat ride on 24th March, 100 miles.

I did a slow 48 miles today and felt absolutely empty by the end. Any tips to get back on it so as to be able to manage the 100mi in 6 weeks? I'm thinking rides on both Sat/Sun, and a tuesday night ride. Probs 45-60miles per ride, building up to about 80 mile hilly rides beginning of March.

Any thoughts?

BTW, Cardio is fine. I've been swimming 8km a week since December, it's just getting the legs backinto it.

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    You've got some riding history so it'll be a piece of pissss to get back to that in the time that you have available.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Agreed, just work the mileage back up, your plan sounds good to me.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Did a fairly leisurely 80mi on Sat in the wet and the rain. Got no power on climbs but that'll come!

Cheers chaps. 6 more weeks and i'll be pounding those climbs like i was last year (Well, i can only hope!).
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    i am doing the cheshire cat as well and did the longest ride I have done yesterday in the cold and rain - 70 miles

you sound like you will be able to build back up no problem, especially considering you have done that mileage before.
  • I've signed up too (also from the Chester/Wirral area), although the thought of climbing the 1 in 4 (yes, the road signs say 25%) climb up Mow Cop is putting me off even for the 62m route. I used to ride a lot as a teenager (100m+) although now I'm in my mid-thirties and returning to cycling after a long break I'm also struggling with stamina for the hills. You're a braver man than I am... unless you fancy training up someone else too!?
    Still trying to convince the missus of the n+1 rule...!
  • Mow Cop... dated an amazing girl who lived there. Ahhhh sweet memories.

Aaaanyway - for you nutters who want to cycle up there:

http://youtu.be/xhItPJpGC_4
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • So I guess you were out of breath too then :lol:

8:32... note the sign :shock: that's one heck of a climb!
  • For the record - that's not me. I'm about as good at climbing hills as I am at giving birth.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • For the record - that's not me. I'm about as good at climbing hills as I am at giving birth.

...and I was talking about the effect of the amazing girl :wink:
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    You can also try the Fred Whitton, where you will be trying to climb this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzNfufUHh9Q

After you've already done 100 miles. Hardknott pass from the 30% side.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava