My first couple of days of proper work.

willhub
willhub Posts: 821
edited February 2013 in The bottom bracket
I was actually uncontrollably shaking and came out of work with an aching chest. Using phones and not knowing what I'm doing was nerve wracking.

Comments

• I follow the rule my dad taught me about a phone - pick it up - breathe heavily - put it down. :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    Probably caused by too much of that very dodgy coffee you get from vending machines, its also the onset of a heart attack:
    From a well known source:

"Typical symptoms of acute myocardial infarction include sudden retrosternal chest pain (typically radiating to the left arm or left side of the neck), shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting, palpitations, sweating, and anxiety (often described as a sense of impending doom).[1] ... ...[2] A sizeable proportion of myocardial infarctions (22–64%)[3] are "silent", that is without chest pain or other symptoms."

You're lucky - your not the silent type. We are unlucky. :D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • willhub
    No I was just nervous, I was sweating buckets too.

I'm so worried I won't grasp it all and gain the knowledge needed so I went into work for 7am despite not being paid untill 9am.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    willhub wrote:

I'm so worried I won't grasp it all and gain the knowledge needed so I went into work for 7am despite not being paid untill 9am.

Errrr no - that's called work. Everyone does it. Welcome to reality. You'll soon start working after the time you're meant to finish as well.
  • Yossie wrote:
    willhub wrote:

Errrr no - that's called work. Everyone does it. Welcome to reality. You'll soon start working after the time you're meant to finish as well.
    Errrr no, IF you're paid by the hour and going in two hours early for nowt, that's called being a tw@t.

Give the job your all when you're on the clock but two hours early is stupid.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Yossie wrote:
    willhub wrote:

Errrr no, IF you're paid by the hour and going in two hours early for nowt, that's called being a tw@t.

You just say what we all think Frank, but God bless Will, he is keen/daft/frantic about this job. :)
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • Yossie
    Yossie wrote:
    willhub wrote:

If someone who works for me does that then I call then keen, sort them out for stuff they want/need and big them up come redudancy time.

If someone clocks in on time clocks off on time doesn't give a feck then stuff them.

But I'm quite old fashioned like that .....
  • Someone who feels (as an hourly paid worker) thinks they need to turn up two hours early for work are obviously not on top of their job and indeed it has to be asked, is he/she the right person for the job. Unless of course you believe people should work for nowt?
    Tail end Charlie

• willhub
    Someone who feels (as an hourly paid worker) thinks they need to turn up two hours early for work are obviously not on top of their job and indeed it has to be asked, is he/she the right person for the job. Unless of course you believe people should work for nowt?

It's a call centre job, and none of us are on top of our job, we're still in training, but talking to customers and knowing **** all is kind of nerve wracking especially when they start to get in a rage. I was to be able to know what I'm doing and we don't have enough time to do this in actual work hours....

I'd probably not go in early but I NEED the job for my CV.

And if anyone calls me a tw@t for going in early then I'll just call them a lazy tw@t. Because, what makes them a tw@t?? Maybe they want to learn so they can work their way up, rather than sit as base level forever? And if people are moaning to them about that, then there is only one word, jealousy.
  • willhub wrote:
    Someone who feels (as an hourly paid worker) thinks they need to turn up two hours early for work are obviously not on top of their job and indeed it has to be asked, is he/she the right person for the job. Unless of course you believe people should work for nowt?

It's a call centre job, and none of us are on top of our job, we're still in training, but talking to customers and knowing **** all is kind of nerve wracking especially when they start to get in a rage. I was to be able to know what I'm doing and we don't have enough time to do this in actual work hours....

I'd probably not go in early but I NEED the job for my CV.

And if anyone calls me a tw@t for going in early then I'll just call them a lazy tw@t.
    I'm not lazy nor a tw@t.

Your employer should provide YOU with the appropriate amount of training in THEIR time in order for YOU to carry out the task for which you have been employed. If they've not provided you with sufficient training to carry out your duties its a case of either their training progamme is defficient or you are in the wrong job.

Nowt to do with being lazy, it's acase of either you or you employer are not competent. Which is it Will?
    Tail end Charlie

• ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Will, don,t worry too much about your job. If your employer provides the training then make the best of it. You are very nervous, obviously frightened that you might not make the grade. In all honesty if you listen you will learn and i,m sure in time you will make it as a call centre operater. Just don,t be going in 2 hours early. There is no need for it and you will have everybody talking about you, and you can be sure it won,t be positive either.Good luck with the job Will and just lighten up at work, try to relax.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Yossie
    While you are at it, post some piccies of your workmate's norks.
  • Yossie wrote:
    While you are at it, post some piccies of your workmate's norks.

Yay welcome back Yossie. :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Is It a bit like this Film

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425326/
  • Yossie
    If there are no shots of workmates norks, any chance of mum/sister/aunties/etc?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    I thought Will had a job in a call centre but with all this stress I assume he has been thrown in as an apprentice brain surgeon or something. If the job is indeed working in a call centre then not knowing what you are doing and not giving a **** about it will mean you fit in with all those around you. I don't ring call centres expecting to get a knowledgable and helpful response and I doubt many others do either.
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Will, good luck. We've all had jobs where we have felt ill-prepared, but if your employers have anything about them, they will provide the suitable training and you will improve and do fine.

Down the line, you'll find that skills you learn in this job will help in your next and you'll feel increasingly comfortable. Work hard, but don't put yourself under unnecessary pressure to be perfect from the first day.
  • Yossie
    Any nork piccies yet?

Come on Will/Steve - you're in so early in the morning that you must be able to catch them all bleary eyed and half asleep......

Bleary eyed call centre bird nork shots - now that's an untapped market.
  • willhub
    This call centre job is not just "another job" to me, I worked very hard trying to find work and count myself lucky that I found the job, for about 5 months my aim has being to move back from home back to Manchester, I did not know if I could afford it, I've planned my finances, I have a HUGE spreadsheet that told me I was able to afford it, and I at least achieved my aim of moving back to Manchester and becoming semi independent again.

The job is important for my CV and will provide me with good experience, I'd love to work my way up, but that seems unlikely at the moment, my 3rd day taking calls.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Good luck Will - stick at it and good on you.
  • i bet there is a lot of churn in them places.......and spoffage....
  • Will, you are probably not helping the anxiety levels by turning up mega-early. I know it's early days, but try not to dwell on the things that didn't go too well, think about the positives and try to get a good night's kip.
    Then get back in and be yourself. I have worked in a call centre (for a bank) and it's grim. If you have the chance and your supervisor isn't a complete twunt (we were timed on every call), just explain to your customers that you're new and don't know it all. Be human, people will appreciate it. And if the business doesn't, stuff 'em. Life is too short to worry about work (says the elderly sage :roll: )
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • willhub
    It does not seem that grim, there is targets to hit though.

And we're not allowed to tell people we're new.

We do have a AHT and wrap time to aim for too.
  • Yossie
    THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT NORKS.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Yossie wrote:
    THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT NORKS.

Here, have mine x

L n H

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yossie wrote:
    Errrr no - that's called work. Everyone does it. Welcome to reality.

Interesting that the people who do it or demand it think everyone does it. The people who don't know not everyone does.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Yossie
    Northwind wrote:
    Yossie wrote:

Interesting that the people who do it or demand it think everyone does it. The people who don't know not everyone does.[/quote]

What does this mean? Can someone please translate.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Yossie wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    Yossie wrote:

Interesting that the people who do it or demand it think everyone does it. The people who don't know not everyone does.[/quote]

'You can stay as late as you like, I'm off!'
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yossie wrote:

I didn't realise English isn't your first language- let me assist:

"The people who don't <work for free> know not everyone does <work for free>

HTH.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Yossie
    Northwind wrote:
    Yossie wrote:

I didn't realise English isn't your first language- let me assist:

"The people who don't <work for free> know not everyone does <work for free>

HTH.

Nope - sorry - still indecipherable gibberish. Anyone else care to hazard what the young man is slobbering on about?