First 100km - and my story of getting there

BigDaddyG
BigDaddyG Posts: 63
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Guys,

I just wanted to share my experiences with you new guys and hopefully give you a bit of hope.

2 years ago I proplapsed 2 discs in my back and been a big lad already (6'4) I balloned up to 23 stone with no exercise and very little will to lose the weight. 12 months ago after the operation and the birth of my 3rd child I had one of those 'I want to see my children grow up ' moments and deceided I was going to try and do something about it and I went to the doctor who recomended a crash/kick start diet which to be honest was EVIL :twisted: :twisted: A month on that and down to 20 stone I had made a start but needed something to continue it or I knew it would all go back on............Cycling!!!

My brother in law is a massive MTB and roadie (yes the 2 can co exisit :oP) and is somewhat of an inspiration when it comes to cycling - I know I will never be as good as him, but he has encouraged me and helped me out which I will be eternally thankful for, and I now have got to a point where I can go out with him and although I know I slow him down it is fantastic to be out with him and the guys!!!

When I started I thought I was the bees knees when I managed to complete a 8 mile round trip on a super flat course near home at a avg I wouldn't even want to put on here. Over the next 8 months I have gone from that 8 mile loop to completing my first 100km today avg 15mph in the lake district and have entered 100km sportive in March in Penrith.

Today I am down to 18 stone (with more to come off over the year), completeing 100km on a decently hill route and have a more get up and go than I have had in many many years. I have a long way to go when it comes to climbing but it can be done, with will power, hardwork and a touch of encouragement!!!

http://app.strava.com/activities/39477763 - I use Endomondo normally but uploaded to Strava for this post.

Sorry for the ramble but I am so proud of my achievement!!! :P :oops: :P

BigDaddyG
Summer - Wilier la Triestina
Winter - Trek 1.2
Turbo bike - Trek 1.2
I love my Trek 1.2

Comments

• Hey, Im a newbie to cycling and like you Im using it as a means to shed a few pounds. Great to read your story, as Im currently thinking over the idea of doing the Lap the Lough in Northern Ireland which is also a 100km ride. I currently complete a 15 mile loop with an average of 13mph and to be honest it leaves me knackered but stories like yours encourage me that completing a km century is possible with a bit of hard work and dedication
  • dai_t75
    dai_t75 Posts: 189
    Well done mate - great story! :)

Just wondering how you went about your training? Did you steadily increase your mileage week by week? Have you done any turbo work?

Is the 100m next on your to do list? :twisted:

Got a pretty big challenge in the summar myself and just wondering about the various ways people train/improve.
  • Thanks guys.

I steadly increased my milelage (although today was almost double my previous furthest ride) but that was purely down to I have been turbo training 3/4 times a week with the Sufferfest and spintervals dvds due to the weather and when I got to 40 miles I still felt good so I thought GO FOR IT........legs are suffering now mind you, and I will sleep tonight:)

Next is 60 mile sportive in March and then I am going to try a 75 mile Sportive at the end of March. Alot of the old hands on here say increase you weekly ride by 5 miles which is a totally sensible bit of advice. Other bit of advice I can give as a noobie is if you are riding for more than 2 hours take some food......thats from todays experience - I never took enough food and hit the wall at 45 miles but a stop at a shop sorted me out!!!
    Winter - Trek 1.2
    Turbo bike - Trek 1.2
    I love my Trek 1.2
  • Well done chap, keep going and the weight will come off, on a longer ride try to eat every hr from the off, if you get hungry it's too late.

Atb
  • Well done! Great to read your story.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Excellent, good post. :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Congrats matey,thts a great story and very good reading.Keep it up.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Cheers guys - I wish the summer would roll on so I can get out on the road alot more!!
    Winter - Trek 1.2
    Turbo bike - Trek 1.2
    I love my Trek 1.2
  • Most importantly, it sounds like you enjoy it. And that is all that really matters. But busting through targets is always a nice feeling!