My first ever ride on a road bike today

skinnydog1973
skinnydog1973 Posts: 114
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Well after buying my first ever road bike 3 weeks ago i finally got to go out on it today, i did 7 miles at an average speed of 14mph, i was pleased with this seeing as though it was the first time i had been on a road bike,this was truthfully though on a total flat road, i did a few circuits to get the feel of the bike and the gears, i did venture out onto the main roads near the end and although they were busy and it was a bit daunting i really enjoyed it, i actually cant wait to get out again,i was using normal pedals but i think next time i will try my clips, probably end up falling off lol, the one question i want to ask is that i felt comfortable on the bike but my hands in-between my thumb and first finger were aching, im not sure if this was coz i was holding on too much but it didnt really feel like i was,any help would be appreciated cheers

Comments

• dai_t75
    dai_t75 Posts: 189
    I am still fairly new to cycling myself, but when I started I had a few issues/pins and needles in my hands. What worked for me was relaxing my whole upper body. I think it is natural when starting out to grip the hoods/levers too tight. Also on longer rides make sure you move your hands around if you feel comfortable/safe to do so. I have 3 main areas where I put my hands:

- on the hoods
    - in the middle on the flat part
    - on the bend between the hoods and flat part - I can put more weight on my palms in this position and its nice for a change.

Welcome - it is a very addictive sport as I am sure you will find out!
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Well done :)

Expect a few aches as you will be using muscles you haven't used much before and putting pressure on parts that aren't used to it. I agree with what has been said before though.

Hand and wrist aches can be from gripping too tight, try and keep the grip relaxed and also your shoulders. It could also be a seam on your gloves that is too tight in that area and it's putting a lot of pressure on there. I've ditched a pair of gloves for exactly that reason (they were really cheap from Halfords... say no more).

Another way to help is not to stay in one position too long. I go from the hoods, to just behind them, to the tops and a short spell in the drops. On longer rides, stand up on the pedals and coast for a few seconds to have a stretch.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Well done, im off out in the morning if weather is good. Ive not used clips before but they are all I have so will give it my best shot.
    Living MY dream.
  • give me a shout tomorrow on how u do i think i will change to mine and see what happens
  • When you say 'clips' what do you mean? 'Clips' are toe clips. Clipless pedals are clipless pedals. Get the lingo right. ;)

But when using either clips and straps or clipless pedals, what will make you fall over is that what you are used to is your foot being 'free', rather than 'attached'. This default needs to switch (i.e. when this happens you will instinctively clip in and out), and that just takes time. Make sure that your cleat position is comfortable, and loosen the springs to start off with, and do some practice.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,641
    Well done Skinny, I did my first 20 miler today and I'm quite pleased with myself. The last mile was horrid though! I'm only a month into road road riding and an overweight 45 year old former smoker but enjoying it a lot. I ride with clipless pedals and have done since getting the bike for Xmas, I have not fallen off (yet!) but I strongly recommend you get 'em on and get on with it, they give me a lot more confidence.
  • Ive been riding for over 30 years and still get pins and needles in my hands so dont expect that to ever fully go away O.P.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • Well done on your first ride. You certainly get a buzz don't you?

My first ride was considerably less than yours. (Mainly due to the amount of hills round here!) I was the same, wanted to tell everyone about it!
    Weather is appalling round here at the moment which has curtailed any ideas of me getting out on the road. I'm resigned to waiting a while until the weather improves then starting on my regime to lose weight, get fitter and enjoy the rides.
    Best of luck to you. :wink: