What just happened?

dai_t75
dai_t75 Posts: 189
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
So went for a ride this morning - just under 38 miles. Admittedly this was my longest ride to date, but it wasn't what I would class as my 'hardest' as it was pretty flat.

On the last 3-4 miles I had something that I have never experienced before. When I tried to climb out of the saddle (something I do fairly regularly) I had a really strong pain/cramp sort of feeling on my quads on the inside just above my knees. The pain was quite intense so I sat down and hoped it would pass. Tried again a bit further along and this time it was my whole quad and also my calves! The odd thing was I felt as though my legs were going to seize up as I tried that last time... I had a bit of a wobble and sat down for the rest of the way home!

My initial thought was cramp of some sort, but I don't get why it happened. As I said I feel as if I have been on harder rides previosuly and didn't have this. I had porridge and a banana an hour before I set off and a glass of water. Took a bottle of water with one of those high5 zero tablets (had a free sample from wiggle) and also 3 little flapjack bites for the way round. So any ideas? Anyone else experienced something similar before?

On a more positive note, the weather was fantastic and was a really enjoyable ride! Also found out that taping up the vents on my shoes kept my toes nice and toasty - So thanks whoever recommended that on here :D

Comments

• Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I suspect that there is a combination of issues here.
    1) its your longest ride so maybe you over did it a bit
    2) Many people have weaker VMO muscles than the outer Quad muscle. If you have tight ITBs then it could be that there is a strength imbalance.
    3) Its cold out and knees can suffer - did you have tights or leg warmers on?
    4) foot alignment on the pedal. you might try adjusting your cleats if it persists - check you are not too "toe in"

Ice and stretch and strengthen when off the bike.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Spot on answer Calpol. Couldn't agree more.
  • dai_t75
    Calpol wrote:
    I suspect that there is a combination of issues here.
    1) its your longest ride so maybe you over did it a bit
    2) Many people have weaker VMO muscles than the outer Quad muscle. If you have tight ITBs then it could be that there is a strength imbalance.
    3) Its cold out and knees can suffer - did you have tights or leg warmers on?
    4) foot alignment on the pedal. you might try adjusting your cleats if it persists - check you are not too "toe in"

Ice and stretch and strengthen when off the bike.

Thanks for the reply:

1) Potentially yes, althought like I said I didn't feel ruined or anything on the last few miles.

2) Excuse my ignorance - VMO is that the inner bit of the quad? When you say tight ITB's what do you mean exactly? Is there anything I can do to find out if this is the case/fix it?

3) Yes I had leg warners on luckily - the wind was biting.

4) I do have a slight toe in, but that is the natural way my feet go I think. I have the pedal on the loosest setting and I think the cleat has a bit of float. There is plenty of wiggle room when engaged - would my feet not go to the most natural/comfortable position?

Thanks again.
  • dai_t75
    Bump for some help 8)
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I can only agree with Calpol.

You're definitely not dehydrating yourself and cramping due to that by the sound of it (the banana beforehand, along with the High5 should see you right).

Did you stretch well before the off?

Just leg warmers on? With the biting winds, you might want knee warmers under longs (EVERYONE is different with regards to being able to deal with the cold - I definitely need a lot of layers in winter, mainly because I don't have an ounce of fat on me).

Cleat (and saddle) position could well be the cause of the issue. Yes, even with a bit of float, if the cleat itself is fundamentally in the wrong position, your foot is never going to get to the right position.

Experiment a little with cleat position, even saddle height and fore/aft position. Try and stretch before you head off (I don't always practice what I preach - but do try!). Keep those knees warm this time of year.

Hope it sorts out for you.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    dai_t75 wrote:
    Bump for some help 8)
    vmo-stregthening.html
  • dai_t75
    marcusjb wrote:
    I can only agree with Calpol.

You're definitely not dehydrating yourself and cramping due to that by the sound of it (the banana beforehand, along with the High5 should see you right).

Did you stretch well before the off?

Just leg warmers on? With the biting winds, you might want knee warmers under longs (EVERYONE is different with regards to being able to deal with the cold - I definitely need a lot of layers in winter, mainly because I don't have an ounce of fat on me).

Cleat (and saddle) position could well be the cause of the issue. Yes, even with a bit of float, if the cleat itself is fundamentally in the wrong position, your foot is never going to get to the right position.

Experiment a little with cleat position, even saddle height and fore/aft position. Try and stretch before you head off (I don't always practice what I preach - but do try!). Keep those knees warm this time of year.

Hope it sorts out for you.

No, I do not stretch as such before I go as I have read quite a few conflicting theories on the subject. I do try and start off slow though and spin on a low resistance for a while - maybe I should do this for longer though.

I didn't feel the cold in my legs, but I have got quite skinny legs so a bit more protection wouldn't go amiss! (Something else to go on the shopping list.. it never ends :P )

I will try adjusting the cleat a little bit and see how I get on. With regards to the fore/aft position I adjusted it to get the knee over spindle thing right. This ended up with the saddle in the most pushed back position - would moving this forward not have a negative impact on my knees/legs?

Apologies for all the questions and thanks again for the help.