Ritchey MTB pedals v. Shimano SPDs

Ian.B
Ian.B Posts: 732
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
Has anyone used these Ritchey pedals? If so, how do they compare with SPDs? Are they compatible with Shimano cleats? Compared with the similarly priced Shimano XTR M980s, the Ritcheys have a 55g advantage but the Shimanos seem to have a platform at the sides for extra support, and I'm not sure if the amount of clippiness can be adjusted on the Ritcheys (although the bolt at the back looks like it adjusts the tension).
bc59aac3e05aa6f7cf325cb58c7192da.jpg

Comments

• cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    The Ritchey Pro Paradigm V5 pedals you picture are compatible with Shimano SPD cleats, however unless you are dead-set on the Ritchey pedals there are better value Shimano alternatives.

Probably "best bang for your buck" are the M540. They add about 100g in weight on the Ritcheys, but share the CroMo axle and only cost £27. If you are after some additional support then you might want to consider touring SPD pedals such as the A520 (£25) or A600 (£65), however these are single-sided so not as convenient if you have to unclip a lot at junctions etc.

Best regards

p.s. all SPD pedals allow you to adjust the release tension
    Boardman CX Team
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have some older Ritcheys, compared to my M520's they are just as secure but slightly easier to clip/unclip, they use Shimano cleats and are a lighter than even the XT's. I'd buy them again except they are no longer available!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I got a set of the V4 Road ones to put on the Colnago when I got the Fratello.
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _V4_Pedals
    My A520s went on the Fratello.

Comments -
    I don't feel any difference.
    The Ritchey ones are lighter, and do adjust.
    The Shimano cleats worked, but not perfectly in both pedals. The Ritchey cleats work perfectly in both.
    People often talk of lateral support, and the A520s have it but once clipped with stiff soles, I don't notice a difference.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I got a set of the V4 Road ones to put on the Colnago when I got the Fratello.
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _V4_Pedals
    My A520s went on the Fratello.

Comments -
    I don't feel any difference.
    The Ritchey ones are lighter, and do adjust.
    The Shimano cleats worked, but not perfectly in both pedals. The Ritchey cleats work perfectly in both.
    People often talk of lateral support, and the A520s have it but once clipped with stiff soles, I don't notice a difference.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • The lateral support is the "big" difference I noticed moving from SPD to SPD-SL so it can't be that great on SPDs
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Ian.B - I've heard only good things about Ritchey pedals, but have not used them personally. Personally I'd plumb for the XTRs as Shimano SPDs are super-reliable and are the safe choice (IMHO), but equally I can't see any reason not to go with the Ritcheys. Let us know how you get on.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    OK, thanks all for the comments!