Help with Headset.

Moreland
Moreland Posts: 34
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
My friend has got a Santa Cruz with a 1.5" headtube, He is fitting some new forks and they have a tapered steerer tube.
The headset he has on now is just a standard headset as his previous forks where not tapered.

Can anyone recommend a headset or even just a lower for it and does anyone know what size it will need to be? It's a Nomad by the way.

would this work? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hope-Pick-N-M ... 3a7df2dfa4

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what is the ID of the lower head tube? about 49mm? then yes it will fit the frame.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I will give him a call and get him to check it.
    So will the part above and the top of the headset whats on now work ok?

Thanks
  • My friend just got back to me and said he can only measure the OD due to the standard headset still being in the frame but the OD is 57mm. I will get him to call SC on monday to confirm everything as I dont want to advise him and he buy the wrong part.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    OD is pretty meaningless, although at 57 I would suspect a 49mm not a 44mm OD (or less) headset.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.