Anyone else noticed Halfords getting into 29ers

snoopsmydogg
snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Having a browse on the site earlier as i'm quite tempted by the voodoo hoodoo or bokor and have noticed there seems to be quite a few 29ers appearing in the Halfords range. Lower spec, higher price - the usual really.

Are Halfords moving onto the 29er bandwagon for 2013 or are we still going to get 26ers with a 29er option for some models?

Comments

• DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    If people are buying a certain product, stores are going to also sell those products. Simples.
  • granted but it would be a shame that the only 26" range left would be from the likes of trax/apollo.

the impression i get is there is still a lot of folk who are not ready to go 29" yet as we arent as easily deceived by marketing as the yanks.
  • MTBUK
    MTBUK Posts: 146
    650b??..... that would really glam Halfords up!!
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Off topic but not worth a question in its own right.

Since 650mm = 25.59" - what is the difference? Seems like a big fat zero to me.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    650mm does = 25.59". But 650b rims (diameter) are 584mm. 26ers are 559mm, and 29ers (700c) are 622mm).

the 26 and 29 size comes from an old way of measuring with the tyre in place.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    There's a shop selling 29ers? Madness!!
    26" will never disappear completely, fact.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    ilovedirt wrote:

The penny farthing will never disappear completely, fact :D
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    omegas wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

too true, you can still buy one if you want http://www.ordinarybicycle.co.uk/page5.html :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    omegas wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

26ers aren't going anywhere in the near future is my point. If enough people still want to ride them (which evidently, they do), people will still sell them.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Who nows why Voodoo have gone into 29ers, pressure from halfords, or they made them and passed to Halfords to sell.

Still no 29er Carrera's.

My Nephew has just bought a Voodoo Marasa Hybrid with 700c 45mm tyres (so effectively a 29er!) as a commuter and for 'soft' trails, it's not expensive for what you get!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    There's still a really good variety of 26/29er with the Voodoo range though?

Shame the Zobop ain't there though (Although it says coming soon on the Voodoo website)? Seemed like a good bike for the price?
  • DanDax1990 wrote:
    There's still a really good variety of 26/29er with the Voodoo range though?

Shame the Zobop ain't there though (Although it says coming soon on the Voodoo website)? Seemed like a good bike for the price?

There is the variety currently but the 26" bokor can't be bought in store or on line at the moment so I was wondering if they are just selling off the last of the 26 hoodoo and bokor to be replaced with 29" models.

The Hoodoo has been very popular, mainly for its vfm but the 29" variety looks to be less of a good deal to me.
  • hounslow
    hounslow Posts: 153
    The Hoodoo 29er has been out as long as the current gen range of Voodoo has, it wasn't stocked in stores due to lack of perceived interest, ie ask and you shall have. There is a Boardman 29er, which is newer.