Boardman Comp?

stiscooby
stiscooby Posts: 139
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
I have a Halfords voucher from an insurance payout to replace my stolen bike for a little over £600.....

From what I gather the hoodoo is also a reasonable bike but think I prefer the look of the Boardman and assume it must be a better bike considering its a few hundred quid more?

Halfords currently doing £60 off so this would make the Boardman comp £639. Would this be a worthwhile purchase/my best option or should I consider something else (don't mind adding some cash if it would be worth it)? I'm also unsure if any new models may be coming out sometime soon which might be worth a look?

My main use will be riding around the local woods, some trail centres etc, nothing too serious as I'm just a newbie :lol:

Appreciate any advise

Thanks

Comments

• hi

well i have a boardman too and its been brillent so far, i have the HT pro team

my advise would be go for the voodoo as its good bike and has won many awards and reviews, OR if you want to spend the extra cash then go for the boardman team or pro or full sus depending on how much extra you want to pay and if you can get one in your size.

but with you saying its for nothing too serious maybe the voodoo would be best and spend the rest on other gear like a helmet/tools/camelbak ect ect..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The only thing better on the comp over the Hoodoo are the forks, but they are not that much better and I'd save the difference if I were you.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • though I read the Boardman Comp was 11.7kg and the Voodoo 13.7kg. That's a hell of the difference if it's correct and can't be just down to the fork surely?
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    hi
    i have the HT pro team

Huh !

There isn't such a bike ? It's either a pro or a Team :?
  • RandG wrote:
    hi
    i have the HT pro team

Huh !

There isn't such a bike ? It's either a pro or a Team :?

lol sorry its the Pro HT.
  • The only thing better on the comp over the Hoodoo are the forks, but they are not that much better and I'd save the difference if I were you.

Or look at the Voodoo Bokor, similar fork to the Boardman and a good spec for about the same price as the comp
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    chrisw333 wrote:
    though I read the Boardman Comp was 11.7kg and the Voodoo 13.7kg. That's a hell of the difference if it's correct and can't be just down to the fork surely?
    Boardman Comp 12.56kg according to website and price is £649.99 so £590 with the £60 discount, then you got the Voodoo Hoodoo and Carrera Fury all pretty similar
  • LJ. wrote:
    chrisw333 wrote:
    though I read the Boardman Comp was 11.7kg and the Voodoo 13.7kg. That's a hell of the difference if it's correct and can't be just down to the fork surely?
    Boardman Comp 12.56kg according to website and price is £649.99 so £590 with the £60 discount, then you got the Voodoo Hoodoo and Carrera Fury all pretty similar

Where are you seeing the Boardman comp for £649? It's not the female version on the Halfords web site is it as it (the men's) was £699 yesterday?

........[goes off to check web site again :D ]

Although the voodoo bikes seem to get good reviews the frames look a bit "cheap" to me, if that's the right word and not being too harsh?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Comp is often on sale around £650-£700. It is a superb bike for the money, and is not worth spending the difference on the Team in my opinion.

The cheaper Voodoos (Bantu, Hoodoo) have plain gauge frames which are a bit lardy, the Boardman frame is about 1550g for the small.
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499
    and the Hoodoo is £450 so £410 with the offer, thats pretty cheap
  • Well, I have gone ahead and reserved my bike - the boardman that is 8) It has gone down since yesterday to £640 + the extra £60 off makes it £589 :wink:

About 10 mins after ordering, my local store called me to say they only have a demo bike in (web site said they had stock & I could pick up tom pm) so will order me a new bike in for Monday/Tuesday this coming week. I'm not bothered when I get it so at least they called me to save me driving over there tom and wasting my time. Plus according to the web site at the moment one of the offers ends monday so didn't want to miss out.

I have also registered with British cycling where you can get a further 10% off at Halfords, although I’m not sure I can use their voucher alongside my one from the insurance but I will plead ignorant in the shop and see if I can get some more money off :lol:
  • Good choice, I used to have the Comp before I upgraded to the Boardman FS Team (took advantage of the cycle to work scheme, would have been rude not too!).

The Comp is a great bike, better forks and lighter than the Hoodoo.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • appy
    appy Posts: 408
    Ive a comp for winter duties and if it was my only bike I wouldn't complain. They are a great bit of kit especially considering the price.