Converting to Single chainring

Phillr
Phillr Posts: 31
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I am after a bit of advice.

I am currently running a 2x10 set-up with a FSA Comet crankset with 42t granny ring and a smaller 27t ring. My bike is a Boardman Team HT with a BB30 bottom bracket. I have never used the 42t, so I was wondering if its worth taking it off. I have also been experiencing problems with my gears not shifting properly, and then double shifting when pressing the shifter once.

What do I need to do to convert to a single chainring upfront. Is it a case of buying a new crankset and chain guard. If so is there anything I need to look out for when buying. Or any recommendations as to what to buy. I'm not very knowledgeable in this area so any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    remove outer ring and use single chainring bolts in place of the double chainring bolts you currently have. You may have to use some kind on keeper device. You front mech would do as a stop gap. You maybe O.K without it but probably not.
    Your shifting issues are either too much cable tension or dirty stiky cables which need changing. It oud also be a worn chain or cassette.

If you want to have ago yourself rear Park tool repair guide.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    lots of info in the FAQs
    viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12534960
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For referance the Granny ring is the smallest not biggest....

For a chain guide you could use the front mech or a proprietary one.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Phillr
    Phillr Posts: 31
    I always thought the granny was the big one!

Thanks for the links/advice. I will look into it properly later on tonight :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Granny ring, for travelling slowly like a Granny!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.