Transition Bandit 29 '13

b_real
b_real Posts: 157
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Does anyone have any experience with the Bandit 29 2013?

It comes in 3 builds, the 3rd being the lowest spec (below) which at $2,900USD seems like reasonable value, going on how awesome the frame is. But here in the UK it's £2,500. I know its a good frame, but you're only getting X5 shifters, X7 mechs, Elixir 3 brakes, and I think the forks/shocks are pretty average as well. So I'm not seeing where the high price comes from, other than it being a rare brand. Am I missing something?

RockShox Monarch R ML
RochShox Recon Gold Solo Air 120mm
Truvativ AKA Stem (60mm, 1.125, Black)
Kore Durox Handlebar (740x35mm, 31.8mm)
FSA NO.57E Headset Black
X5 Crankset w/ Bashguard (175mm, 38/24t)
Elixir 3 Brakeset 180mm
Schwalbe Nobby Nic 29 x 2.25 (Performance)
Stylo T20 DC Seatpost (31.6mm, 400mm, BTBLK)
Transition Park n Ride AM
Transition Logo Lock On
SRAM PG 1030 Cassette (10sp, 11-36)
Revolution 25 - Black/Black (15mm Front, 142mm Rear)
X5 Rear Shifter (10sp, BLK, w/ Clamp)
X5 Front Shifter (2sp, Black, w/ Clamp)
X7 Rear Derailleur (Medium Cage, Aluminum, 10sp)
X7 High Direct Mount Front Derailleur (2x10, 38/36t)
None
FSA Team Issue 10spd
Norco Sight Killer B

Giant Trance X3 - stolen.

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Same idea for Santa Cruz bikes, if not worse. Sure, there are added taxes, etc to consider with the bike being imported, but you do pay a premium for it not being a Specialized/Trek/Boardman/whatever too.

You have to take into account the different relative values of currencies too. An American might not find $2900 "reasonable value" just because he can compare it to the price in £'s to make it look better.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I think its because Transition are a small company so can't get the same bulk buy deals with the component manufacturers as the big players.

The frame only options are more reasonable. I'm aiming to get the 26" version in a few months. Demoed it last year and totally loved it! The 26" frame only is available for around £1400 which is reasonable compared to some other frame only options.
  • b_real
    I was looking at building a Transition up with full SLX kit, Rev fork, reverb dropper... would have come in at around £2,500 which is the same price as the base model fully built.

But then I took the Whyte T129S for a spin the other day. Damn it's nice. Aside from the build kit (the Whyte wins hands down, apart from maybe the rear shock), these two bikes seem fairly identical framewise.

Whyte T129S v Transition Bandit 29

Whyte for under £2k. Geometries very similar, Whyte has a shorter chainstay. The suspension systems look VERY similar but is one better than the other?

I really like the branding of the Transition and the fact that its quite exclusive in the UK, and the fact that the LBS selling it is small and independent, but I can't for the life of me see how that's worth paying £500 for.

Can anyone give me one good reason to go for a Bandit over the Whyte?
    Norco Sight Killer B

• jairaj
    The suspension systems are very different between the bikes. The number and precise location of the pivots can have a very big difference to how the suspension reacts.

The geo is quite different too. The Whyte is longer and slacker while the Bandit is shorter and more upright peddling position.

The bikes are designed for similar kinda riding but I wouldn't say they are similar.

Which one is better? Depends on you. Transition have a demo fleet contact your local dealer and see if they can get a demo bike for you to try.

As said earlier I've only ridden the 26" version and loved it. It had and really nice playful feel about it and climbing was very good and especially so for bike that was so fun on the descents. The 29er is supposed to be in similar vein. Does that sound up your street? If so give it a go.
  • b_real
    The geo is quite different too. The Whyte is longer and slacker while the Bandit is shorter and more upright peddling position.

Does that mean that the Transition is likely to be a better climber? I think the Whyte is about half a kilogram lighter than the Transition, and based on the models I tested the Whyte's rear shock was much stiffer and suffered way less bob than the Transition. The pay off for the Transition tho was a much more cushioned descent.

I think I had tried a small Whyte frame, which is about the same length as the medium Transition (whyte has shorter chainstay, longer top tube, equal wheelbase). I would probably be going for a medium Whyte (I'm 5'8"), which as has the longer wheelbase, so maybe that will shed some more light on the differences between the models. I think the listed Whyte head angle (68*) is slightly out, it felt steeper, the MBR review listed it at 68.3* and that certainly felt about right. It did not feel any more slack than the Transition at 69*, but difficult to tell when you're not comparing them side by side.

I'll give the medium Whyte a quick test run and see how it goes. At the moment I'm basing all my tests on 30 minute runs around the local block, dropping stairs, climbing roads etc. Not a great deal of off road stuff. Time is short at the minute so a full demo day is a bit difficult, which is a pity because that's when the differences between suspension would become more apparent.

Economically, it's hard to look past the Whyte right now.
    Norco Sight Killer B

• jairaj
    b_real wrote:
    Does that mean that the Transition is likely to be a better climber?

Not necessarily. The steeper seat and head angle on the Transition would suggest this but then the longer top tube on the Whyte also helps with climbing.

To be honest geo numbers don't mean a lot too me. I just briefly look at the geo numbers to see what size is likely to fit. I've ridden a few bikes where the numbers suggested a racy xc machine but turned out to be a good laugh and others were vice versa.

I think unless you are a frame designer or have vast knowledge of geometry its hard to understand what the whole bike will fell like.