Installing Clipless pedals

Delta149
Delta149 Posts: 3
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all,

After a couple of years of casual riding on my 2011 Giant Defy 4, I've succumbed to purchasing a set of clip-in shoes and pedals from my LBS.

Found videos on the internet for changing pedals, looks simple enough, however I'm unable to actually undo the old pedal. Has anyone else had this problem on Giant bikes?

Joe.

Comments

• zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    The spanner you use needs to be a big one as they do end up pretty tight if no anti sieze stuff was applied.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you are turning the tool the correct way? see Parktools for a refresher

and you are using a tool of appropriate length? a pedal spanner or an allen bit in a holder on a 1/2" drive ratchet.

and the pedal threads were greased before fitting? if not get some Plus Gas and let then soak over night.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • As above - here's the link http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/pedal-installation-and-removal-pw-3-pw-4-pw-5-hcw-16

IIRC most pedals are fitted the same way.

Personally I find it easier to remove tight pedals with the bike on the ground. Doesn't sound like you have a stand anyway.

Pretty sure WD40 left to soak in for an hour or so would also help loosen them.

Make sure you get some grease when installing - this can be picked up cheaply off Ebay or in Wilkinsons.

Unless you are doing regular rebuilds of wheels etc then there is no point in paying a load for it. I got some Weldite off Ebay for about £2.80 and does the job.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    A proper pedal spanner will really help, the length gives you the extra force you need.

Save buying one though why not just pop back to the LBS you bought the pedals from and ask them to do it?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Delta149 wrote:
    Hi all,

After a couple of years of casual riding on my 2011 Giant Defy 4, I've succumbed to purchasing a set of clip-in shoes and pedals from my LBS.

Found videos on the internet for changing pedals, looks simple enough, however I'm unable to actually undo the old pedal. Has anyone else had this problem on Giant bikes?

Joe.

Are you turning towards the back of the bike?
  • Thanks guys! Just to say, I have been turning the tool the correct way. It looks as though no grease was applied during the bike's initial build, so its now having a nice oil soak. Will enjoy take 2 tomorrow.

Joe
  • dai_t75
    dai_t75 Posts: 189
    I had a nightmare taking off the standard pedals that came with my Triban using a normal length spanner.

Bought one of these in the end and it came off easy:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-pedal-wrench/

Good luck.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Last year I was having a nightmare getting pedals off my bike, not enough grease had been applied when fitting, and they'd been on for about 7 years, riding through all sorts of conditions. Suffice to say, they were well and truly stuck.

In the end, the only way I could undo them, was to place the allen key inside a length of curtain rail, pull up on the curtain rail and push down on the pedal with my foot...

Hopefully, you won't have to resort to this!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    A spot of gentle heat with a blowtorch can help.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Peddle Up! wrote:

Probably best saved for metal rather than carbon cranks though :lol:
    Peddle Up! wrote:

Probably best saved for metal rather than carbon cranks though :lol:

Softy! :D
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    When you put the new pedals on use some copper anti seize grease on the threads.
  • Just make sure you don't fit the pedals upside down.....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter