Reverb

compo
compo Posts: 1,370
edited February 2013 in MTB general
Rode my first proper solo ride/mess about in Jesmond Dene, Newcastle this morning with my Reverb on.

What a difference, I now realise what they say when people say that once you have one you won't go back. Flow is so much better. Also you can put it down for situations where you'd usually just keep your saddle high, meaning that you can launch off things, have more fun and generally be more lairy on the bike.

What a piece of kit. That is all.

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I concur, its night and day transformation, feels like its cheating almost.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    turns a mountain bike into an all mountain bike!
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • D4RK1
    D4RK1 Posts: 49
    Never needed one when I was a yoot. Can't see me needing one now.
    I don't have my saddle in the clouds though. Glad your enjoying your new toy :D
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    D4RK1 wrote:
    You should try one. Rather than do whatever it is you're trying to do here. I dunno, sound like a grumpy old codger or something?
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I was a grumpy old codger. I now have a Reverb on my FS and expect to be a cheerful old chap in future.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It'll take more than something bouncing under my arris to stop me being a grumpy old codger.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. I'll echo my earlier sentiment - you should try it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    How could I refuse such a generous offer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    D4RK1 wrote:

Nobody needs them. But then nobody needs a mountain bike. This doesn't stop them being completely ace.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • D4RK1
    D4RK1 wrote:
    You should try one. Rather than do whatever it is you're trying to do here. I dunno, sound like a grumpy old codger or something?

I don't follow? I'm not trying to do anything? They make the bike look untidy to me. The ones with the lever under the saddle less so, but don't you lose any sleep over is precious :)

Northwind wrote:
    D4RK1 wrote:

Nobody needs them. But then nobody needs a mountain bike. This doesn't stop them being completely ace.

You could say that about clothes/cars/money/etc :)
    I'm not tryin of offend anyone in here. Its just my view.

Mark
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Well, take it from the experienced, they're ace. And for god's sake lighten up.
  • D4RK1
    Pot, kettle, black
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Go on, do explain how that applies here.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    D4RK1 wrote:
    Pot, kettle, black

Your view is unfounded though, you haven't tried it.
  • D4RK1
    I'm as laid back and chilled out as they come skipper. No mentions of being up tight, merely offering my view.
    You say I should lighten up, yet you are seemingly offended or upset with my view.
    Have a nice drink, some deep breaths and relax :lol: There, see how much better life is :?:
  • D4RK1
    Briggo wrote:
    D4RK1 wrote:
    Pot, kettle, black

Your view is unfounded though, you haven't tried it.

I have tried one of these type seat posts on a bike in the past. However that was a while ago and not on my own bike. Do they offer a suspension type ride? I know why they are out there, I just don't see the need for one for my bike. I can do everything I need to with my seat set at one height. The only time I drop it is to hang the bike up in the garage. The qr is fine for that :D
    I guess a couple of you feel the need to justify the purchase to yourselves. I ride a hardtail. Does that mean Im wrong in my decision not to ride a full sus?

Mark
  • Northwind
    D4RK1 wrote:
    I can do everything I need to with my seat set at one height.

So can I. Well, mostly. But it's often better and often more fun to do it with the post down. it gives you more control and more options.

If riding with the post at full works for you then that's fine but a lot of people take advantage of the benefits.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They make so little difference to my riding that they are not worth it for me. But I can see why they work for others.
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Northwind wrote:
    D4RK1 wrote:
    I can do everything I need to with my seat set at one height.

So can I. Well, mostly. But it's often better and often more fun to do it with the post down. it gives you more control and more options.

That was my main point. Dropper posts make things more rowdy :)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    D4RK1 wrote:
    You say I should lighten up, yet you are seemingly offended or upset with my view.
    Nope. Not even remotely. But you keep saying that to yourself you spasmodic little ingot of hopelessness :lol:
    D4RK1 wrote:
    I ride a hardtail. Does that mean Im wrong in my decision not to ride a full sus?
    Mark
    Well DUH!. What do you think?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I used to ride with the saddle at full height all the time before I got a dropper, never had a problem... had one for about 18 months now and rode llandegla t'other month without one as my reverb was being sorted out under warranty... and never have I missed a component on a bike as much as I did then, it was genuinely like going back to v-brakes :shock:

Sounds trivial but they just make things so much easier and more fun, wouldn't have a bike without now!
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    I can see that if you ride pure xc with no drops, jumps or technical sections they may seem a little redundant. However for any trail that has any of the aforementioned they are superb.
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • YeehaaMcgee
    andymc06 wrote:
    I can see that if you ride pure xc with no drops, jumps or technical sections they may seem a little redundant. However for any trail that has any of the aforementioned they are superb.
    Provided you also want to pedal well in between those sections
  • Northwind
    lawman wrote:
    never have I missed a component on a bike as much as I did then

When I take my rigid xc bike out, it's not the suspension I miss, it's the dropper post
    Uncompromising extremist