Has my Cotic been prepped properly?

Tom4
Tom4 Posts: 69
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
So, got a BFe from Cotic last week and just been waiting on parts before I start the build. Having looked over the frame, it looked to me as if it needed prepping and I thought nothing of it since Cotic didn't mention it would come prepped.

Interestingly Cotic has put on there facebook page (in the last couple of days) that they face and chase the BB aswell as face the headtube on all their frames before despatch.

I will let you lot decide as I'm no expert:

img0365ug.jpg

img0362bo.jpg

img0367z.jpg

I just want to get other people's opinions before I fire off an email to Cotic. Don't even know if its fair to moan as they didn't mention it would be prepped?

Can anyone confirm, does this need facing and chasing?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    BB shell, IMHO yes.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I bought one around November last year and the BB did need doing, the BB wouldn't go in otherwise. I didn't moan as they never said it would be ready to go.

So yes, get it faced and chased.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Tom4
    Cheers guys. It looks like they have started to do the BB then not done it all the way, which is strange.

Will just go to the LBS and get it done.

Dusk - thinking about it as you say I'm not going to moan as I never expected it to come prepped, just annoying they decided to start prepping all the frames 1 week after I get mine :(
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the BB has not been touched.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Whether it needs it or not is a different matter - but it has not been done - that is for sure.I think having paint on the surfaces is not advisable because it will allow water ingress eventually.
  • Erudin
    Erudin Posts: 136
    BB threads needs chasing as there is paint overspray on the threads, would say bb not faced properly.

See also: http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/chase-face-necessary-monkey-81298.html

From http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/bottom-bracket-tapping-and-facing-bts-bfs:

When cut metal appears in a complete circle, facing is finished. The facing cut is complete when there is a flat milled surface in a 360-degree circle around the shell face. The full width of the shell face does not need to be cut. Continue cutting if necessary.
  • Tom4
    Thanks everyone.

Went to my LBS today and they sorted the frame out:

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

:D
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    ISCG tabs need done too...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No they don't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    Paint in the threads?
  • cooldad
    Yeah but not faced - that will clean out when you stick a bolt in.
    And looks to me like the BB has been faced but not chased.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    I didn't say it needed faced, i said they need done, as in prepped, as in the thread title.
  • The Rookie
    The facing tool screws through the BB threads though, so don't think they need chasing out!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bennett_346
    I'm talking about the ISCG tabs you loon.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    It's worth doing on any new bike to be honest...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Tom4
    All the paint had not gone from the BB threads although it does look as though a tap has been put through it.

The BB screwed in fine.
  • The Rookie
    Referring to Cooldad's comment you div!
  • cooldad
    Referring to Cooldad's comment you div!
    I suggest pistols at dawn.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Swords please.......I can draw it out longer that way.......(double entrendre is deliberate)
  • cooldad
    As he's from Gateshead, broken bottles might be more appropriate.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    Come on we've moved up in the world. Scrap metal for fights (that which couldn't be sold).
  • The Rookie
    No such thing, it all has a value........