Why Service a Shock?

georgebrailsford
georgebrailsford Posts: 23
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm asking in an economic sense, I pulled the rebound knob out of my RP2 while i was cleaning grit out of it, a school boy error it seems as it cant go back in without depressurising the nitrogen chamber. Both Mojo and TFTuned have said this will be a full service charge to repair so will cost, including postage both ways, £112.95 for a Mojo service or £109 for TFTuned.
Chain reaction have RP23s on sale for £110.54! I understand that this is £200 less than RRP but it seems absolutely ridiculous to me that I can upgrade for less than a repair, It's just sad because it seems so wasteful to just discard a "functioning" piece of equipment because it's cheaper to replace. Especially when £110 isn't a cheap replacement

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if they are the correct size go for it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • It's already ordered ;) But what can i use a semi-functioning rear shock for? Is it just something to stick in the spares box as an emergency backup?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    also as it is OE it might have diferent damping characteristics to your current one.
    and maybe different controls.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Same argument for printers - often a cartridge can cost as much as a new printer - avec cartridge. My LBS charges £75 for a fork service.
  • At least with printers you can get "compatible" toners/inks, When i've asked before none of my LBSs did suspension servicing they all send it off to Mojo or TFTuned anyway
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Interesting - my LBS (Flitch Bikes ESSEX) gets his service kits from Mojo and the mechanic professes to 'like servicing Fox forks'!! Interestingly he said he would strip down the lock out - so it is not just a change the seals and refil the oil service.
  • I service Fox Forks in house and we also do it in our other store as well. It's no a hard job when you've got a workshop, etc. It's just getting the know how or going for the training to get confident enough to offer it as a service in-house. You may find your LBS services their own fox forks, but may not be confortable to offer it on customers bikes.

It just depends on the store. Ask around other stores in your area, for when you need your new shock servicing.

Also, if your stock for something to do with your old shock I'll happily take it off your hands! :D