Good waterproof setup

Plumby Baby
Plumby Baby Posts: 82
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
Doing a solo JOGLE mid-July but I'm sticking with the adage - prepare for rain every day and if its sunny then Brucie bonus.

On my 12mile e/w commute I use a jacket from halfords (4 years old - still works) and just some Aldi leggings and shimmy SPDs. It's more so the waist down I'm worried about as when 'things' get wet, that's when rashes and shit (not literally) occur.

I've kinda had it too good so far as whenever it nobs it down and I get wet I have a drying room and a hot shower at each end. JOGLE is naturally going to be different. I need some coaching.

So, any recommendations as to what to get? What do you use to stay dry?

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    You will have to get wet and dry at the end of each day. Will you be staying in tents or hotels/hostels.

I cant imagine that having anything waterproof will do any good, you will sweat anyway.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • I think I'd stick with my usual advice and say don't bother trying to stay dry. I think this is probably true for rides like Lejog where, rather than an hour in the rain, it's likely to be several hours. Better to wear clothes that keep you warm when wet and dry quickly. Keep a light "waterproof" jacket (Montane Featherlite or similar) for times you might be off the bike (fixing a puncture etc) to stay warm.

As for rashes, (to steal a phrase a lady fellow rider on my Ireland E2E ride said) - baste yourself up like a turkey "down below" with a good chamois creme.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Spend some money on top end bibshorts with a pro pad, I wouldnt worry as much about being dry as I would warm, technical layers, merino wool and windproof are the key to all day comfort.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Cheers fellas. Top draw. Yeah you're right I guess sweat is just a proxy for rain anyway!

I'm planning to do it unsupported with a small tent I have. I'll take spares of each item but yeah I never thought about having to keep warm really. More research required I think.

Thanks again. I'll have a nose on Wiggle.
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    itboffin wrote:
    Spend some money on top end bibshorts with a pro pad, I wouldnt worry as much about being dry as I would warm, technical layers, merino wool and windproof are the key to all day comfort.

This.

Having done a JOGLE and L2P24 last year of which 280 of the 282 miles it was pissing it down, merino, good bibs and knee warmers were my saviours. Used a lightweight, long sleeve merino top which isn't meant to be overly warm, but also doesnt get cold when it's wet, and was only £16 in a sale. Plus roubaix gilet and arm warmers to maximise the flexibility of the layering. Will also wax lyrical about the Rapha rain jacket (as long as you get someone else to buy it for you, so it's guilt free).
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    itboffin wrote:

+1

Water ain't the issue - warmth and comfort are.
  • As for rashes, (to steal a phrase a lady fellow rider on my Ireland E2E ride said) - baste yourself up like a turkey "down below" with a good chamois creme.
    And less hair, the better too...if you catch my drift :wink:
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    As for rashes, (to steal a phrase a lady fellow rider on my Ireland E2E ride said) - baste yourself up like a turkey "down below" with a good chamois creme.
    And less hair, the better too...if you catch my drift :wink:

See here for tips. :wink:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Get some mudguards if you want to stay dry. The most troublesome area is spray from the back wheel so a rear guard will make a world of difference.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • Wax? Can't see that happening! I've seen that episode of Friends. ; )

I thought about some merino wool and almost got a top of Wig when one of the reviews said they itch like buggery. Which put off. Is this a prob?

Right, so lots of cream, good shorts with pad/sanitary towel, weatherproof jacket and a gilet (plus knee/arm warmers). Brilliant. Thank you. I'm thinking two of each...
  • @ mrc1

Yeah I thought about mudguards but I think my carradice longflap will take the lot anyhow. I like a dirty bag.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    ok:
    gore jacket - http://www.goreapparel.co.uk/gore-bike- ... YT_color=S
    hincapie waterproof trousers
    mudguards
    waterproof winter boots
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    @ mrc1

Yeah I thought about mudguards but I think my carradice longflap will take the lot anyhow. I like a dirty bag.

Mudguards, one of the best things I have ever bought, the increase in comfort from not having a soggy chamois is not to be underestimated. Like today, front's of my legs slightly damp my back, bag and arse were all dry.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Did a LonJog last year in June, rained a lot.

July will be warm even if wet. So full waterproof will result in boil in the bag affect which is not nice. in the rain in the warm my opinion is less clothing the better, I went out on most days with a single layer sometimes a wind proof when it was very windy, you'll will get wet to skin if it rains but you'll also dry much quicker. Other people on ride who were wearing more layers in the rain ended getting soaked through then taking ages to get dry. The people in full rain gear ended up soask from sweat from the inside out. Sure I was cold, wet and misserable in a few places, normally down hill having been warm from the effort on the way up, but it quickly passed once I warmed up again, arm warmers helped with this.

The other top tip is to book accomdation with drying rooms (a lot of bunk houses have these) bassically warm rooms with dehumidfyers (sp??) and spin dryers. This means you can get everything dry for the next day!

and +1 for mudguards
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Also clean shorts everyday. Again finding accomdation with washing facilities on at least a few nights. Have some different manufacture's shorts with seams etc in slightly different places in case you do get a sore.

And as said above chamois cream on the pad and you, better to be preventative than to try and fix. Sudocream is cheper alternatvie to posh stuff.

Shower everynight to get the cream etc off. Some manufactors have after ride shower gels and creams if your so inclined.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    on the way of the roses last year we stayed in youth hostels each night - they all had washing machines, dryers and drying rooms as well as bike sheds and a basic tool kit for cyclists. I actually ended up wishing I had taken less stuff as we washed and dried all our gear every night.
    Overshoes were worth taking - my shoes still got wet but weren't caked in mud and I hate having cold feet. I had a normal short sleeve jersey and a softshell jacket which stayed warm in the wet. I am increasingly finding that just a base layer and a waterproof jacket is a pretty good combo if its really wet.
    If you are camping, most campsites have a washer/dryer now. Starting the day off in yesterday's wet/smelly gear is just grim.