shimano sti shifters 5601 vs 5600

clunkychunky
clunkychunky Posts: 178
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
hiya

does anyone know if the 5601 is the shifter shimano brought out to replace the 5600 shifters which were prone to failure?

thanks

Comments

• petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Yes!

5600 has a left hand shifter than can operate as a double or triple, 5601 has specific left hand shifters for double and triple.

I don't think shimano ever admitted it but 5600 left shifters tend to break. Mine did anyway...
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    AFAIR 5610 replaced the fault prone 5600 (used to rattle).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Yes!

5600 has a left hand shifter than can operate as a double or triple, 5601 has specific left hand shifters for double and triple.

I don't think shimano ever admitted it but 5600 left shifters tend to break. Mine did anyway...
    smidsy wrote:
    AFAIR 5610 replaced the fault prone 5600 (used to rattle).

thanks for the replies.
    so a 5601 left double wouldnt suffer the same failure?? (i had 2 replaced left 5600 shifters repalced under warranty).
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    You should really get it replaced with a 5601 if it fails
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    You should really get it replaced with a 5601 if it fails

i just upgraded to ultegra in the end. Left me with a right 5600 shifter which worked fine though. So will order a 5601 left shifter now and then they can go on the winter bike!

thanks for the help :D
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    I still don't 'get' how STIs are so damnably expensive

I was going to put them on the old steelie, but then decided on DT shifters and a pair of cheap shimano brake levers

It's just a hill. Get over it.