New XTR XC Brakes

BigStu2
BigStu2 Posts: 794
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Just bolted a new pair of XTR XC brakes onto the beast and was wondering if they come pre-bled as both levers dont feel that firm and pull almost to the grips, I see that there is an adjustment screw but haven't fiddled with that as yet. And, as I have to shorten the hoses can I get away without a bleed afterwards, I have already orderded the bleed kit if all goes pear shaped.
.........all
...at........work
fun..................&
..no.............no
.....is......play

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You mean the Race brakes? It depends how you buy them, but frankly I'd always bleed new brakes anyway. Takes 5 minutes with Shimano.
  • BikeSwan
    BikeSwan Posts: 260
    What njee20 said. It's always a good idea to bleed new brakes, and being Shimano it shouldn't take long. It also doesnt hurt to play around with the adjustment screws.

I had a new set of Formula R1's last year and they came out of the box awful (really spongy and crap feeling), a quick 10 minute bleed later and they felt excellent.
  • BigStu2
    Race, of course, No idea what I buy sometimes, and only 5 minutes to bleed them I'll be happy with 30 minutes, thats why I've bought a full litre of fluid, just in case.
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They have to bed in. Usually a few firm pulls of the lever sets the pistons.
  • BigStu2
    Thanks guys, I'll shorten the hoses on the weekend, am hanging for a ride, been below - 18 most of the winter here :(
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play