311cdi Sprinter ('02) Injector removal query

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,331
edited February 2013 in The cake stop
Which injector removal tool ? (Common rail) - so many options of flea bay.

BR is cheaper than asking Jeeves !

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    On my Vito I just used a big pair of mole grips. I'm assuming this high tech method works on all injectors. If it doesn't, have you heard of Sugru?
  • pinno
    GiantMike wrote:
    On my Vito I just used a big pair of mole grips. I'm assuming this high tech method works on all injectors. If it doesn't, have you heard of Sugru?

Funny.

The van runs on veggie oil and the injectors are probably carboned* up (new word for the OED) something chronic. I don't think Scottish moles are as big as English ones's, doubt they can get their jaws around the top of the injector.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    On the Vito I undid the retaining bolt (holds a semi-circular clamp around a collar) then the injectors just twisted out with a bit of 'help'. I expected mine to be carbonic but they were actually quite clean. I may still have some Mercedes assembly grease if you want it.

What's up with your injectors? One of mine started sticking open and my van turned into a Red Arrow with a very impressive smoke display.
  • pinno
    GiantMike wrote:
    What's up with your injectors? One of mine started sticking open and my van turned into a Red Arrow with a very impressive smoke display.

Its gutless. We ran the genny on veggie oil and it became hard to start. Same as the Van. Took the injector out and cleaned it up (fuel system cleaner is insufficient). Now its back to running perfectly again.
    I want to exhaust all possibilities before resigning my self to handing it in to the garage so the boys with an OBD1 scanner say (which are hens teeth or v expensive, 16 pin config.), "Oh look its your airflow sensor making the ECU run on default/shutdown mode".

Could get some WD40 down it, leave it a while and try the mole grips but i'd hate to damage them as they are £85 a pop.
  • try sugru it works on everything :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • The proper tool for removing the injectors is a slide hammer with a claw attachment that looks similar to the injector clamp.
    They have a nasty habit of seizing in the head and being a real pig to remove. If yours have been removed before, they shouldn't be too bad. One common problem with them is that people don't replace the washer on the end of the injector or the stretch bolt that goes in the clamp. The injectors then blow past the washer slightly and then the carbon builds up around the injector body causing it to get stuck in the head.
    If you get it out, use plenty of the white assembly grease when you build it back up.

As an ex-Mercedes technician I've replaced hundreds of these injectors. When they come out easily they're great, when they're seized, they're a nightmare!
  • pinno
    Thanks Wisepranker. I have been trying to get hold of a HANET removal tool - doesn't look like I can get one in the UK. It gives you the option of a leverage system and a slide hammer. I have not tried to remove them so I do not know if how tight they are. I suspect that they have not been removed as we bought the thing with only 100k on the clock and we have put another 100k on it and we have not had the injectors removed in that period.
    I will order the stretch bolts and washers as soon as I have located a suitable specific remover. Ta.
  • Have you tried running the engine with a specific injector cleaning additive? Or a tankful of Bp Ultimateor similar? Hopefully their solvents/detergents might clean up the injectors. Wortha try?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Get some Diesel Rhino on your tank. http://www.dieselrhino.co.uk/ will sort ot your injectors and get it running better.

been using it on the T4 for quite a while.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pinno
    Nicklouse/Bernie the biker:

The carbon build up external to the guts of the injector will affect combustion/starting. I have used injector cleaner direct throught the main cannister diesel filter. We did run the van for a couple of days on diesel but it had little effect.
    So many factors to consider:
    Distribution pump
    Lift pump (on cam shaft)
    Turbo pressure
    Default mode instigated by faulty air flow sensor etc etc

So I want a proper visual of the injectors. As I said, our Honda diesel generator has a single injector and the carbon build up was so extensive that only a soft wire dizzy could clean it up and then the spray pattern was restored.
    When I take the injectors out I can see if its got a healthy spray pattern as too.
    Thanks anyway
  • It might be worth using someone like this if you can't get the injector out yourself:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Injector-Tool ... 2c6bd6fa7e

I'd advise against trying to lever them out as it tends to crack the cam cover. To replace the cam cover you then need all the injectors removed. I've seen plenty of people manage to do that!
    Once you access the injector, try spraying a bit of WD40 around the injector to see if it helps free it up before you try to remove it.
    If you get it out, make sure that the injector seat in the head is nice and clean before you fit the new washer and injector as if it's dirty it tends to lead to injectors blowing past and squeaking.
    On the eBay link above, you can see all the black gunk in the cam cover around the injector. I've seen a couple where the injectors have been blowing so badly that all that black gunk was essentially carbon and rock solid. We needed to chisel and scrape it all out before we could even got to the injector to try removing it :shock:

More than likely, with the age of the van, it'll have had a set of injectors at some point in it's life. There's very few around the 2000-2003 ones that didn't have problem with them. If you're lucky they'll have greased them before refitting the new ones!
  • pinno
    It might be worth...removing it :shock:

More... ...new ones!

Hmmm. That was a video nasty (the amount of force required). I've noted what you said and I will update you with any progress.
    Cheers.