Top 3 things to do in Majorca?

steerpike
steerpike Posts: 424
edited February 2013 in The cake stop
Off to Majorca at the weekend for 2 weeks. What should I do, other than: Ride Sa Calobra and Watch Mallorca Challenge race?

Doesn't have to be cycling specific.

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Visit every monastery - by bike.
    Cycling and culture. What's not to like?

Our possible challenge for this year. Hotel to Formentor lighthouse to the south lighthouse. And back to the hotel again.

Old town Palma is nice. Try eating local cuisine at a local restaurant away from tourist/cyclist locations (not necessarilly in Palma).
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Shame Magaluaf is shut that's a sight to be hold.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stay at Monastir de Luc, climb Puig Tomir, take the old train from Palma to Soller, find Robert Graves grave in Deja, eat Ensaimadas at the mad Art Nouveau bakery in Palma (can't recall the name but it is famous), eat lots of fish in the restaurants at Port de Soller, visit the cathedral, keep away from Palma Nova, try to get as far up the canyon at Sa Calobra as you can! That's a few to start with!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    Go visit MallorcaJeff ! I think he actually lives in Oldham and he's having us on.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • steerpike
    steerpike Posts: 424
    thank you - good tips!

What do I need to know about riding Sa Calobra?
  • daviesee
    edited January 2013
    steerpike wrote:
    thank you - good tips!

What do I need to know about riding Sa Calobra?
    Go early as tourist buses clog up the road. Maybe not so important at this time of year.
    It is as much a climb from wherever you are based to get to the descent.
    Your hands and arms will be tired on the descent.
    Take what you need with you. It is a very expensive tourist trap.
    Turn round and go back up. IIRC it is a 1800m climb from sea level in 10km.
    Pro teams will possibly be in training so you never know who you will meet.
  • Get some sugru and build your own island. :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    Get some Sugru and make your own aircraft/trolley dolly/pilot/check in staff and fly to your home made Mallorca.
    (at least if the engines fail, you'll bounce all the way there).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Don't forget to pick up the Noro virus while you're there. I got it in 2010 and I managed to shed a lot of weight.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Temperature looks pretty good out there at the moment, almost tempted to go myself
  • Yes - get the little train - it's a great way to see the middle of the island. Soller is well worth a wonder round too.

My ex's father ran a restaurant in a cracking wee village in the hills above Soller called Fornalutx. Sadly this was before I got back into cycling :-(
  • Bwgan
    Bwgan Posts: 389
    In Santa ponsa there is a cross on the top of a cliff, jump off into the sea!
  • The Coves del Drac are quite impressive but touristy.

If you are a good swimmer you can get to some 'secret' caves, by swimming about 1km round from a popular beach about 8km below Drac. You have to swim under a short tunnel then you pop up into your own private Coves del Drac, with stalagmites and tites everywhere. They go on for miles, with lakes and beaches inside, but it's completely pitch black so you'll need at least 2 torches. A ball of string is good too, as you don't want to get lost......
  • 1 go on a12 hour binge drinking session

2 couple of wraps of M-Cat

3 dive off 9th floor balcony into shallow end of hotel pool in your underpants

Should be the holiday of a lifetime 8)
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    pauldavid wrote:
    1 go on a12 hour binge drinking session

2 couple of wraps of M-Cat

3 dive off 9th floor balcony into shallow end of hotel pool in your underpants

Should be the holiday of a lifetime 8)

Don't forget a horrendous holiday tattoo.

tattoompj.jpg
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    This time of year
    1) Visit Ses Fonts Ufanes and get some of the "magic water" which comes out - its on the Campanet/Selva road
    2) Go up to Orient by bike so you can see the Cherry and Almond Trees in Blossom
    3) Eat at one of the small, great quality local restaurants in this area: Miceli in Selva, Ca Na Toneta in Selva, Santi Taura in Lloseta or Joan March in Inca - mushrooms are in season.

For Sa Calobra, no need to worry this time of year about coach traffic but bring your own sarnies (only one of the places down there is open this time of year and its expensive,) and actually DONT go too early in the day as it can still be icy in parts till about 11am as much of it faces North. Dont go in Sky, Katuschka or Trek replica kit, however...! Its not 1800m climb, only 900, but it does get steeper as you go up. If you really want to make it brutal, just before the bottom there is a sharp right hander where you can take a left turn to Cala Tuent, adds about another 3kms of climbing

Or you could do the same as everyone else, stay in Puerto Pollenca, bike out to the lighthouse and walk along the beach fron.
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Find some pros out on a recovery ride and overtake them
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    If you think thats fun (and yes, so do I!) try overtaking a top German amateur team on a preseason leg stretcher. they just love it... :D
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Pootle out to San Salvador Monastery, and climb the winding roads to get to the top.

Have a look round. See the famous collection of cycling world champ jerseys...

Ride back into a headwind.

(better than it sounds)
  • top 3 things to do in majorca go by the name Lisa, Debbie and Miguel (don't ask) :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    :lol: Miguel. If Claire ever finds out she'll be devastated. It could even turn her.
  • daviesee
    4kicks wrote:
    ......... Its not 1800m climb, only 900, but it does get steeper as you go up. If you really want to make it brutal, just before the bottom there is a sharp right hander where you can take a left turn to Cala Tuent, adds about another 3kms of climbing
    Ahhh. Too late for the OP but I just checked out of curiosity. I was obviously thinking of the complete route.
    Return from Port Pollensa - Total elevation climbed = 1965m.
  • No I do live here pinarello haha. Too late as your here but the weathers good if not a touch windy this weekend. Some good tips above. Can't think of ,any thing to add as when you live somewhere you don't think of what visitors should do. I've not been but have heard Palma aquarium is pretty good. Good advice on the cafe at the bottom of colabra, I did it the other day and it was a very expensive crap sandwich. When you get to the bottom go right along the path and through the tunnel in the mountain and you come out in the inlet and its like coming out into another world. Foot tunnel by the way.
    Ride to deia when it's sunny. There is a little supermarket there on the main road and the guy that works behind the till oddly enough used to ride for the and now rides for omega pharma, but I think it's his brothers shop and he helps him.