XT cassette lock ring washer?

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning all

Yesterday evening I was removing a 6-month old 9sp XT cassette to do a bit of hub maintenance. When I took the (aftermarket) lock ring off, I noticed it had a very thin washer underneath it, between the serrations on the underside of the lock ring and the serrations on the smallest cog. The washer was thin enough to deform and allow the serrations to mesh, but the lock ring didn't seem to have the tight, direct feel that they normally do.

I don't recall ever seeing a washer between a lock ring and a cassette and I wondered if this was an XT 'feature' or something that came with the aftermarket lock ring?

Cheers

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    All aluminium lock rings have them (XT/XTR/PG990/Dura Ace etc), imagine it's to stop deformation of the alu. Don't recall seeing them on steel ones.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Centrelock disc lock rings have the washer.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    njee20 wrote:
    All aluminium lock rings have them (XT/XTR/PG990/Dura Ace etc), imagine it's to stop deformation of the alu. Don't recall seeing them on steel ones.
    Ah OK. I'm not used to working with this level of exotica :)

Thanks!
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    hmmm, I know the thin washer you mean but been playing with a numebr of cassettes (XTR, XO) as well as Token alloy lock ring and don't recall them having the metal strip, will check and update if I'm wrong.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Well, they do.