Do you deflate your tyres when flying a bike

Beckers62
Beckers62 Posts: 66
edited February 2013 in Tour & expedition
I'm taking my bike to Mallorca in a couple of weeks. I've booked a week B&B in Puerto Soller (pics and ride reports when I get back)

I'm hiring a bike case from my LBS. Is it necessary to deflate the tyres? What does everyone else do, are there any horror stories

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I reduce the pressure as normally requested by the airline.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I think this dates back to the days when the hold was completely unpressurized, and is now unnecessary, but I am no aviation expert.

I have flown with my bike though with fully pumped up tyres and it's arrived fine.
  • There is absolutely no need to deflate the tyres as the maximum pressure increase of 15psi that could occur is if you took the bike into outer space in an unpressurised hold.

It's a widely held belief that the tyres will explode and custom and practise has the baggage handlers insisting on deflation. They are unmoved by folks pointing out that the aircraft tyres are not let down before take off.

The best strategy is to not to let the tyres down and see if you get away with it. Rest assured, unless you have grossly over inflated tyres, they will be intact after the flight.

As an aside, there used to be advice to bearers of fountain pens, pre-cartridge design, to empty them before flying as the ink bladder would discharge its contents as the cabin pressure dropped.

Things have clearly moved on.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    One funny thing though - and worth remembering - is when you are opening your little plastic tub of orange juice or the sealed water they give you with your meal, be sure the opening is directed at the person next to you, or at least that it's not over your lap, as the change of cabin pressure from ground level to flight mode can make the liquid spurt out.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    the occasional checker in that insists on this really winds me up, but after a polite explanation that deflation is old hat and based on pre-war low pressure tyres in unpressurised holds , if that doesn't work you just have to do what they say or they get really obstructive.
    I suppose the bruneval raiders and thousands of d-day paratroopers must have sat down and pumped their tyres up before setting off , did they?

when I get on the bike, what is the rise in pressure in the tyres compared with unladen? I weigh 200lb.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow