help new wheel tyre trouble

ant1901
ant1901 Posts: 646
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Just bought stan's crest 29er on switch hubs why cant i get my rocket rons on ,I've fitted loads of tires before..... any ideas
2011 on one 456 carbon x9

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    back to basics.

bead in the well and work it around. other bead in the well and work it around.

youtube and search for shwalbe marathon. for a reminder on how to fit tyres.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ant1901
    I know-how to fit a Tyre but these just don't seem right, thanks for the sarcasm tho
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    There was no sarcasm. You do need to go back to basics and fit it as per the video. I've not been beaten in the workshop yet.
  • ant1901
    It just seems stupidly tight and there is no real depth to the rim
  • nicklouse
    ant1901 wrote:
    It just seems stupidly tight and there is no real depth to the rim
    yes and that is why it really is back to the basics.

most people get lazy fitting tyres and with most Sans combos you can not be you REALLY need to go back to basics. hold it all in place and work round and up.

why am i typing the video shows is so much better.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • ant1901
    Cheers I've taken a look, managed to get front on with help but the Tyre isn't sitting evenly even upto40psi
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pump more, it will be fine.
    Unless it explodes of course.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ant1901
    Just tried that at petrol station.....still no good
  • ant1901
    Even tried riding up and down street at lower pressure to see if they even out
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I don't get it what is the problem? Lumpy tyres? Both of them?
  • ant1901
    It's like they are not pushing out evenly if u spin they appear buckled ,I've had this with 26er and just worked round them pumped.up n again and been fine ....really am clue less now.
  • nicklouse
    you just need to work it out.

either more air to seat it or work it by hand of use a set of tyre tongs
  • ant1901
    I've tried and they old guys pissing me off on video now he makes it look to easy ......what pressure would u say is safe to goop to I went to 60 odd at petrol stTion
  • I'm sure someone will tell me there's a reason not to do this, but I find a smear of fairy liquid all the way round the inside of the rim in between it and the tyre bead sets even the most awquard tyres evenly once you've pumped them to high pressure.
  • ant1901
    Definitely worth a try can't see it would do any harm I'll give that a try 2mo
  • ant1901
    Anybody think a light squeeze of wd40 would be OK I could get the red straw in far enough
  • Personally, I'd be wary of the WD40. Sod's law being so, I think you'd be pretty much guaranteed to get some on your rotors and also, no idea what affect if might have on the rubber the tyres are made from. Gut feel rather than scientific answer.
  • nicklouse
    ant1901 wrote:
    Anybody think a light squeeze of wd40 would be OK I could get the red straw in far enough
    nope it will trash the tyre.,

if you need lube buy some or go to your tyres (car) fitters and see if you can blag some. Take cookies.
  • ant1901
    Thanks for all input much appreciated,, will report back tomorrow with good news hopefully
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Fairy Liquid will work fine, neat, work into a bit of a lather and brush on.
  • nicklouse
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Most car tyre fitters just use soapy water.
    maybe in Aus it the UK most use Tyre lube. a nice tub of a white lube that is more cost effective and convenient.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They probably pinched the soap anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20 wrote:
    Fairy Liquid will work fine, neat, work into a bit of a lather and brush on.

+1
  • ohara227
    ohara227 Posts: 225
    I'm having this issue with my mtb tyres, used the youtube video a while back to fit marathon plus on my hybrid perfectly. Even with schwalbe tyre fitting stuff my MTB tyres just won't seat evenly ie POP into place :-(
    'The hills are alive with the sounds of panting'

Rides:

MTB - Giant 2008 Trance X2
    Road - Giant 2010 Defy 2
    Hybrid - Giant Escape 2011 City 2