Uk to South Africa

CJ Bill
CJ Bill Posts: 415
edited January 2013 in Tour & expedition
In early stages of planning a jaunt from the UK down to South Africa at the tale end of the year but not committed as yet. Route would be UK -> France -> Italy -> Greece (although the European leg would be easily amendable, could just as well head down through Central Europe) -> Turkey -> Egypt (there's a ferry runs from Mersin to Port Said) -> Sudan -> Ethiopia -> Kenya -> Tanzania -> Malawi -> Mozambique -> Zimbabwe -> Mozambique -> South Africa.

Further word on timings, thinking of setting off in August or September so as to hit Sudan for mid-winter to catch the colder months and prevailing North Easterly wind.

Worth pointing out this trip is currently tentative so I'm not 100% committed to it yet. However I've done some long distance touring before (solo UK to Vietnam 10k mile trip, albeit with a hop over Pakistan by plane and then from Kerala to Malaysia) and spent a year back packing (but not biking ) around Africa in the 1990s.

So... any advice and/ or anyone fancy joining up for it or a segment? In particular I'm looking for anyone who might want to do the trans-Saharan leg as the prospect of soloing that is a tad daunting. Unless you've done it and can convince me otherwise :)