So. This is my answer

careful
careful Posts: 720
edited January 2013 in The cake stop
Just wanted a little rant about the fairly recent phomenon of people, especially on tv preceding their answers to all questions with "So----".
I have noticed it amongst all sorts of people, business people etc but especially from people who are being interviewed for their expertise in some subject. I hope it doesn't catch on - to me it just seems like a pointless affectation. Rant over.

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    So last year.
    :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    To use 'so' as a conjunction is only correct if it is followed by a defensive comment.

So, people who are being interviewed for their expertise that don't answer in a defensive way are not only annoying, but are also wrong, if you don't mind me saying :D

And using 'so' as an intensifying adverb and pronounced with exaggerated stress, is turning nouns into adjectives, and is also annoying and so affected :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    So last year
    That would explain why the head of Blackberry did it on tv this morning. He did it four times as he repeatedly ducked questions about what has gone wrong with Blackberry 10; that was also meant to be last year.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Buying time for the brain to engage.Usually condescending and infuriating when finished off with an upward inflection
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    equivalent to the Aussie, "ahhhh look..."

See any Thopedo for example
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I have the annoying bad habbit of answering with "But..."

I should stop making excuses for myself.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Not half as bad as 'like' stuck into the conversation every few words.

"Anyway, I was like going to Tesco and there was this like trolley and it was like stuck to another one like" the ramblings of a true f*ckwit.

The older I get, the better I was.

• lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    It's 'look', or 'listen' at the start of every answer that really grinds my gears. Most noticeably by Australians and politicians. It always makes the speaker come across as an arrogant, condescending ba$tard.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    "To be honest" is another one, it's usually followed by complete tosh!
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Had to turn the radio over this morning, what with the woman answering all her questions with a rising inflection and then the bloke who started all his answers with So. And these are people who've 'done well' in life.

Humphreys is known to be a stickler for grammar etc. I reckon he needs an email bouncing his way.
  • I told someone that you could have a double negative but not a double positive - he said "yeah, right" :D:lol: :roll:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    So what?
  • smoggysteve
    arran77 wrote:
    "To be honest" is another one, it's usually followed by complete tosh!

Any time I hear someone start a sentence with, "Well, basically......" winds me up.
  • Capt Slog wrote:
    Not half as bad as 'like' stuck into the conversation every few words.

"Anyway, I was like going to Tesco and there was this like trolley and it was like stuck to another one like" the ramblings of a true f*ckwit.
    :lol::lol::lol:

Generational thing I suspect, rather than out-and-out f*ckwitism.... my 20-year-old son uses "like" every second word, like. Drives me like mad like. Like. He may be many things, but a f*ckwit is not one of them..... :wink:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Ya know.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • sev112
    sev112 Posts: 99
    Absolutely
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    sev112 wrote:
    Absolutely
    I was in a meeting recently. A colleague was chatting with the client, and I found myself nodding at the things he was saying. As he finished talking I looked at the client and said "absolutely", agreeing with what my colleague had been saying. I then immediately realised that there's not a chance I'd understood a word of what was said as both colleague and client were talking in Italian, and I can't speak it! :oops:

I've tried to use the word less since then, but it's difficult as I work in sales (not a salesman) and I find I have to positively reinforce what the sales people I work with are telling our clients.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I try to avoid repetitively redundant tautologies myself
  • smoggysteve
    Hoopdriver wrote:

Really?
  • "innit" constantly winds me up and unfortunately for me, in the job I do, I hear it a lot.

As much as I hate it, if it was used instead of "isn't it?" I could understand, but it seems to be thrown in at random places throughout a sentence and quite often several times.

Me: "So young man why are you and three of your friends parked up in a car park at 3am and why can I smell cannabis?"
    Young Man "Me and my bloods was just listening to ma music, innit, you get me blood? Cannabis? That ain't cannabis innit, cos what 'append was like, innit, there was another car here, innit and they was all smoking the weed and that's why it smells. You get me innit?"
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    "innit" constantly winds me up and unfortunately for me, in the job I do, I hear it a lot.

As much as I hate it, if it was used instead of "isn't it?" I could understand, but it seems to be thrown in at random places throughout a sentence and quite often several times.

Me: "So young man why are you and three of your friends parked up in a car park at 3am and why can I smell cannabis?"
    Young Man "Me and my bloods was just listening to ma music, innit, you get me blood? Cannabis? That ain't cannabis innit, cos what 'append was like, innit, there was another car here, innit and they was all smoking the weed and that's why it smells. You get me innit?"

Kids these days. I mean, being in a car park at 0300 and not dogging?! Some people are just oxygen thieves.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    Hoopdriver wrote:

Really?

You don't say ?

Its as bad as people who go hmm haa ahh hmm every other word during an interview. It often happens em, when er.. the Beeb is interviewing er.. wotsits, erm.. you know, err.. oh yes, Europeans/foreigners who don't em.. speak English as err, em.. their mother erm... tongue.
    Which makes you always wonder why they can't speak in their mother tongue and we get subtitles so that things aren't lost/simplified/distorted whilst they struggle to allegorise in a language which isn't their own.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • smoggysteve
    Hoopdriver wrote:

Really?

You don't say ?

Its as bad as people who go hmm haa ahh hmm every other word during an interview. It often happens em, when er.. the Beeb is interviewing er.. wotsits, erm.. you know, err.. oh yes, Europeans/foreigners who don't em.. speak English as err, em.. their mother erm... tongue.
    Which makes you always wonder why they can't speak in their mother tongue and we get subtitles so that things aren't lost/simplified/distorted whilst they struggle to allegorise in a language which isn't their own.

Your right innit?