Saddle bag

doublem_1
doublem_1 Posts: 266
edited January 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to buy a small-medium sized saddle bag. I only really need it to carry a spare tube, levers, multitool, phone and keys. I want something that doesn't look too big, silly etc. Can anyone suggest something that fits the bill?

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Lezyene Micro Caddy

http://www.lezyne.com/products/organize ... -Caddy-S-M

Come in White too.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1 Lezyne
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Does anyone use the extra large one at all?

For sportives, I was thinking I'd really need more than one tube and two CO2 cartridges. Like maybe three tubes, 4 or 5 cartridges and a pump... plus my multitool and a chain tool plus magic link (which I don't have yet).... plus maybe some extra flapjack... plus... ??

So the little Topeak pack I use at the moment isn't really big enough.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • iandennis
    iandennis Posts: 238
    For sportives - Topeak Small Wedge and tri-bag on front.

Wedge carries - 2 tubes, 2 CO2 cartridges, lezyne inflator, levers, multi-tool, contact lenses, cable lock, patches, gloves.

Tribag- wallet, keys and phone, flapjacks and gels.

Mini-pump on frame.

Banana, waterproof etc in jersey pockets :)
  • iandennis wrote:
    tri-bag on front.
    Ah, cunning, hadn't seen those before, cheers... although still interested in anyone's experience of the XL Lezyne bag.
    Mini-pump on frame.
    How mounted, if two bottle cages??
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • iandennis
    iandennis Posts: 238
    For me the tri-bag is a better idea than a really big bag out back :)

Specialized mini-pump under the front bottle cage, its only 175cm long so not too unsightly.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    doublem_1 wrote:
    I'm looking to buy a small-medium sized saddle bag. I only really need it to carry a spare tube, levers, multitool, phone and keys. I want something that doesn't look too big, silly etc. Can anyone suggest something that fits the bill?

All that could fit in a cut up water bottle and your back pockets.
  • http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/20086012 ... pla&crdt=0

Designed for tubs but makes a lovely slim bag - won't rub your shorts/tights - and holds loads.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    iandennis wrote:
    For sportives - Topeak Small Wedge and tri-bag on front.

Wedge carries - 2 tubes, 2 CO2 cartridges, lezyne inflator, levers, multi-tool, contact lenses, cable lock, patches, gloves.

Tribag- wallet, keys and phone, flapjacks and gels.

Mini-pump on frame.

Banana, waterproof etc in jersey pockets :)

Yup, I use this combo and works well. I prefer the topeak as the ones I use are quick release things.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I quite like this one -

http://www.probikekit.com/uk/accessories/luggage-transport/saddle-bags/scicon-aeronaut-saddle-bag-and-tyre-levers.html

Fits multi-tool, tube, CO2 and levers. You just need to remember to duct tape over the hole at the mounting mechanism (so it doesn't fill with water dripping off your saddle) and bin the levers that come with it.

The big advantage for me is that it's a saddle bag that doesn't have a velcro strap around the seatpost.

Re - 'All that can go in your pockets'. Yes it could but I have my phone, cleat covers, mini pump, arm warmers and energy bars in my pockets (and occasionally a gilet or waterproof).
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    smidsy wrote:
    Lezyene Micro Caddy
    Come in White too.

And in grey after the first time you use one in the rain!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Another +1 for Lezyne, just got a S-Caddy. I carry same as you but phone goes in my jersey/jacket pocket.
  • +1 Lezyne Micro Caddy, it's a great bag, stretchy so you can cram a lot in there, it even looks good.

The poster who says cut up a water bottle obviously doesn't need to mount two bottles.
    Ridley Orion
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Rolf F wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    Lezyene Micro Caddy
    Come in White too.

And in grey after the first time you use one in the rain!

Indeed so, but hey ho.

Buy the black one if it worries you.

They do wash OK too.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • doublem_1
    doublem_1 Posts: 266
    Thanks for all the input guys, I very much appreciate your advice! I have ordered a medium sized Lezyne Micro Caddy from CRC :)
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Just got the Lezyne. Fits 2 tubes and a couple of Allen keys with tyre levers underneath.
    Annoying thing is that the strap could do with being a bit longer.
  • p1tse
    p1tse Posts: 694
    Any pics on what these look like on bike fully loaded?
    Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    p1tse wrote:
    Any pics on what these look like on bike fully loaded?

$(KGrHqN,!hUE0fJuu3WYBN(cckc-zg~~_35.GIF
  • p1tse
    p1tse Posts: 694
    Which one is that one and what's in it?
    Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm